A dog had to be rescued from a fire in a flat in Croydon which was caused by an e-bike.

Part of a ground floor flat in a three-storey residential block on Eastney Road was damaged by the fire on February 24.

A man and a woman, who left the flat before firefighters arrived, were treated at the scene by London Ambulance crews for smoke inhalation.

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by the catastrophic failure of a lithium battery back on a converted e-bike that was on charge at the time of the fire.

The Brigade's 999 Control Officers received five calls about the fire.

The Brigade was called at 4am and the fire was extinguished by 4:49am.

Two fire engines from Croydon Fire Station and a fire engine from Norbury Fire Station attended the scene.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "E-bikes and e-scooters have become London's fastest-growing fire risk.

“In 2023, there was a fire, on average, once every two days.

"E-bikes and e-scooters can be a fun and sustainable way of getting around London but the stark reality is that some of these vehicles are proving to be incredibly dangerous if they are not used safely.

“In 2023, three people died and more than 60 people were hurt.

“We encourage people to follow our top tips on how to store and charge their e-bikes and e-scooters safely.

"From previous investigations, we know many of the fires we’ve attended have involved second-hand vehicles or the bike has been modified using parts bought online. 

"It’s also important to make sure the conversion kits, batteries and chargers you’re purchasing for the bike is from a reputable seller. 

“At this time, there is not the same level of regulation of products for e-bikes and e-scooters sold via online marketplaces or auction sites when compared to high street shops, so we cannot be confident that products meet the correct safety standards."

The Brigade is advocating for important laws to be put in place for online marketplaces.

These laws would ensure that products such as batteries, chargers, and conversion kits are regulated properly to guarantee safety.

The spokesperson added: "People can also help keep themselves and others safer by always using the correct charger for the vehicle and not leaving it charging unattended or overcharging.

“If you cannot store or charge the vehicle outside or in a shed, make sure it is not on an escape route within the property."

Safety tips for e-bike and e-scooter users to follow:

  • Never block your escape route with anything, including e-bikes and e-scooters. Store them somewhere away from a main through route.
  • Store these items in a safe outdoor location, such as a garage or a shed. 
  • Always use the correct charger, otherwise the risk of fire increases, and buy an official one from a reputable seller. 
  • Do not attempt to modify or tamper with your battery. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. 
  • Converting pedal bikes into e-bikes using online DIY kits can be risky because of the increased fire hazard. To stay safe, it's best to have a professional handle the conversion and buy a new battery from a trusted seller.
  • Check your battery and charger meets UK safety standards. 
  •  Consumers buying any product can check that the item displays a UKCA or CE mark that ensures that the products meet UK and EU safety, health or environmental requirements. If buying online, buy from a UK supplier.
  • Watch out for signs that the battery or charger aren’t working as they should – e.g. if the battery is hot to the touch or has changed shape.
  • Do not try and tackle the fire yourself. Get away safely and call 999.