Suspected looter shot dead in Croydon named as man from Brixton

Your Local Guardian: The incident took place during Monday's riots in Croydon The incident took place during Monday's riots in Croydon

The suspected looter shot dead during Monday night's riots has been named as Trevor Ellis.

Police officers discovered the 26-year-old man in a vehicle in Duppas Hill Road at its junction with Warrington Road, Croydon, at 9.20pm.

He was taken to St George's Hospital with a gunshot wound to his head, and was pronounced dead earlier on Tuesday 9 August.

Trevor Ellis, is 26, of Brixton Hill, and is believedto have come to Croydon to take part in the lawlessness which saw large parts of Croydon looted and destroyed by fire.

Police think the man had travelled to the Croydon area earlier on Monday 8 August in the company of a group of friends.

It is believed the group became involved in an altercation with a group of approximately nine individuals.

This altercation culminated in a vehicle pursuit involving three vehicles which commenced in Scarbrook Road, Croydon, passing along the A232 flyover into Duppas Hill Road where the victim was shot.

Detectives are appealing for anyone who witnessed the pursuit which involved a dark coloured estate car and silver hatchback - believed to have been driven by the group of nine - and a dark coloured hatchback, in which the victim was a passenger.

An incident room has been opened under DCI Neil Hutchison (HSCC).

Call with information to 020 8247 4553.

Two men were arrested at the scene on suspicion of handling stolen goods. They were later bailed to return pending further inquiries.

The Metropolitan Police Service has now arrested a total of 888 people in connection with violence, disorder and looting. 371 people have been charged.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:23pm Thu 11 Aug 11

battersea says...

no one deserves to get shot in the head so where do the people who shot him come from croydon is that what you do when people come from a different place shot them
no one deserves to get shot in the head so where do the people who shot him come from croydon is that what you do when people come from a different place shot them battersea

4:28pm Thu 11 Aug 11

CroydonGeorge says...

Seems this was one group of riotmongers chasing another rioter who got shot. Saved a lot of time and money. Problem solved.
Seems this was one group of riotmongers chasing another rioter who got shot. Saved a lot of time and money. Problem solved. CroydonGeorge

4:29pm Thu 11 Aug 11

CroydonGeorge says...

Seems this was one group of riotmongers chasing another rioter who got shot. Saved a lot of time and money. Problem solved.
Seems this was one group of riotmongers chasing another rioter who got shot. Saved a lot of time and money. Problem solved. CroydonGeorge

5:07pm Thu 11 Aug 11

t1ger23 says...

This is an insult to him and his family, A horrible thing to say and people reading this post will be disgusted at the person who had the audacity to post these hideous comments. People need to stop speculating about why he was in the area because they do not know what happened. He was not in the riot and neither were his friends that were also in the car. The news paper should be ashamed at themselves for allowing such disrispectful and disgusting comments to be posted onto their website. Its despicable.
M.S
This is an insult to him and his family, A horrible thing to say and people reading this post will be disgusted at the person who had the audacity to post these hideous comments. People need to stop speculating about why he was in the area because they do not know what happened. He was not in the riot and neither were his friends that were also in the car. The news paper should be ashamed at themselves for allowing such disrispectful and disgusting comments to be posted onto their website. Its despicable. M.S t1ger23

9:48pm Thu 11 Aug 11

ANNE GILES says...

Wrong. The article states that he came to Croydon to take part in the looting and lawlessness. Nothing good about the guy then.
Wrong. The article states that he came to Croydon to take part in the looting and lawlessness. Nothing good about the guy then. ANNE GILES

10:02pm Thu 11 Aug 11

CroydonGeorge says...

Respect to looters? They were shot when I was a kid in Croydon during WWII - and they deserved it then.
Nothing's changed. It was a war zone in Croydon, with gangs looters terrifying the good citizens of Croydon and other places. No sympathy at all for them. This guy was shot after an 'altercation' with other looters. End of.
Respect to looters? They were shot when I was a kid in Croydon during WWII - and they deserved it then. Nothing's changed. It was a war zone in Croydon, with gangs looters terrifying the good citizens of Croydon and other places. No sympathy at all for them. This guy was shot after an 'altercation' with other looters. End of. CroydonGeorge

10:17pm Thu 11 Aug 11

R Jackson says...

CroydonGeorge wrote:
Respect to looters? They were shot when I was a kid in Croydon during WWII - and they deserved it then. Nothing's changed. It was a war zone in Croydon, with gangs looters terrifying the good citizens of Croydon and other places. No sympathy at all for them. This guy was shot after an 'altercation' with other looters. End of.
George as I said to Anne I say to you...

Do not insult your own intelligence and take everything that is written to be a fact. Because an article has said something does not make it a fact. You and neither does the writer of this article know this to be in anyway true, dont make assumptions about someone you didnt know from a few sentences on a computer screen.

Altercation 'with other looters'???? this is exactly how easy it is to make assumptions or fabricate something that is not true. Soon you will be telling us exactly what the altercations was about. Again I reiterate to you, you DO NOT know the facts to the circumstances surrounding this gentlemans death!
[quote][p][bold]CroydonGeorge[/bold] wrote: Respect to looters? They were shot when I was a kid in Croydon during WWII - and they deserved it then. Nothing's changed. It was a war zone in Croydon, with gangs looters terrifying the good citizens of Croydon and other places. No sympathy at all for them. This guy was shot after an 'altercation' with other looters. End of.[/p][/quote]George as I said to Anne I say to you... Do not insult your own intelligence and take everything that is written to be a fact. Because an article has said something does not make it a fact. You and neither does the writer of this article know this to be in anyway true, dont make assumptions about someone you didnt know from a few sentences on a computer screen. Altercation 'with other looters'???? this is exactly how easy it is to make assumptions or fabricate something that is not true. Soon you will be telling us exactly what the altercations was about. Again I reiterate to you, you DO NOT know the facts to the circumstances surrounding this gentlemans death! R Jackson

11:46pm Thu 11 Aug 11

battersea says...

have some respect for his family and children if i need to go to croydon i better ask some off you if i can come their seeing as your saying we shouldnt be there you can stick croydon i would never set foot there its not a safe place to enter
have some respect for his family and children if i need to go to croydon i better ask some off you if i can come their seeing as your saying we shouldnt be there you can stick croydon i would never set foot there its not a safe place to enter battersea

12:09am Fri 12 Aug 11

Anon Thornton Heath says...

If the person was indeed a looter then surely he has only himself to blame? Why leave the safety of his home in Brixton and come all the way over to Croydon? What else did he expect but to face trouble by joining a riot- he wasn't exactly coming over for afternoon tea.

Yes we can feel sorry for his family if he was innocent but that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment. I don't hear his family saying that he wasn't involved or that he had a legitimate reason to be in the area.

On the BBC website, it showed that 70% of the rioters appearing in the Magistrates' court did not live in the same Postcode area as the crime. Its hard to feel anything but contempt for those who come to our Borough just to cause trouble. Its bad enough in Croydon without shipping in more trouble-makers.

I still have some respect and love for Croydon so I will not mourn the loss of Mr Ellis. I hope those who killed him spend the rest of their lives in jail as they are just as bad.
If the person was indeed a looter then surely he has only himself to blame? Why leave the safety of his home in Brixton and come all the way over to Croydon? What else did he expect but to face trouble by joining a riot- he wasn't exactly coming over for afternoon tea. Yes we can feel sorry for his family if he was innocent but that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment. I don't hear his family saying that he wasn't involved or that he had a legitimate reason to be in the area. On the BBC website, it showed that 70% of the rioters appearing in the Magistrates' court did not live in the same Postcode area as the crime. Its hard to feel anything but contempt for those who come to our Borough just to cause trouble. Its bad enough in Croydon without shipping in more trouble-makers. I still have some respect and love for Croydon so I will not mourn the loss of Mr Ellis. I hope those who killed him spend the rest of their lives in jail as they are just as bad. Anon Thornton Heath

12:30am Fri 12 Aug 11

Pebbs04 says...

Maybe his family is in a state of shock and grieving for their son, brother, father etc, to worry about justifying the why and whats of this tragic event....Ai wish people would have some respect for his family and keep your nasty comments to yourself. If People have nothing good to say, then say nothing!!
Maybe his family is in a state of shock and grieving for their son, brother, father etc, to worry about justifying the why and whats of this tragic event....Ai wish people would have some respect for his family and keep your nasty comments to yourself. If People have nothing good to say, then say nothing!! Pebbs04

10:44am Fri 12 Aug 11

Anon Thornton Heath says...

Pebbs04 wrote:
Maybe his family is in a state of shock and grieving for their son, brother, father etc, to worry about justifying the why and whats of this tragic event....Ai wish people would have some respect for his family and keep your nasty comments to yourself. If People have nothing good to say, then say nothing!!
You need a big dose of reality and to stop making excuses for bad behaviour. None of the deceased friends have come forward either because they don't want to be identified - becaus they were up to no good. Be realistic - he had no good reason to be there. I still don't hear his family coming to his defence either. Keeping quiet about this sort of behaviour is exactly what has gotten this country into this sort of mess where hoodlums feel that they can do anything and wave after wave of ridiculous Human Rights legislation and weak governments has made it impossible for the Police to do their job - to protect good decent people.

I say what I see - and in this case it doesn't look like a good role model!!

If the guy is innocent I will apologise but I VERY much doubt it.
[quote][p][bold]Pebbs04[/bold] wrote: Maybe his family is in a state of shock and grieving for their son, brother, father etc, to worry about justifying the why and whats of this tragic event....Ai wish people would have some respect for his family and keep your nasty comments to yourself. If People have nothing good to say, then say nothing!![/p][/quote]You need a big dose of reality and to stop making excuses for bad behaviour. None of the deceased friends have come forward either because they don't want to be identified - becaus they were up to no good. Be realistic - he had no good reason to be there. I still don't hear his family coming to his defence either. Keeping quiet about this sort of behaviour is exactly what has gotten this country into this sort of mess where hoodlums feel that they can do anything and wave after wave of ridiculous Human Rights legislation and weak governments has made it impossible for the Police to do their job - to protect good decent people. I say what I see - and in this case it doesn't look like a good role model!! If the guy is innocent I will apologise but I VERY much doubt it. Anon Thornton Heath

11:04am Fri 12 Aug 11

CroydonGeorge says...

You're perfectly correct, Anon Thornton Heath. Too many people make 'excuses' for those involved in this gang/looting culture.
You're perfectly correct, Anon Thornton Heath. Too many people make 'excuses' for those involved in this gang/looting culture. CroydonGeorge

12:17pm Fri 12 Aug 11

R Jackson says...

Anon Thornton Heath wrote:
If the person was indeed a looter then surely he has only himself to blame? Why leave the safety of his home in Brixton and come all the way over to Croydon? What else did he expect but to face trouble by joining a riot- he wasn't exactly coming over for afternoon tea. Yes we can feel sorry for his family if he was innocent but that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment. I don't hear his family saying that he wasn't involved or that he had a legitimate reason to be in the area. On the BBC website, it showed that 70% of the rioters appearing in the Magistrates' court did not live in the same Postcode area as the crime. Its hard to feel anything but contempt for those who come to our Borough just to cause trouble. Its bad enough in Croydon without shipping in more trouble-makers. I still have some respect and love for Croydon so I will not mourn the loss of Mr Ellis. I hope those who killed him spend the rest of their lives in jail as they are just as bad.
It is understandable Anne that you will not be mourning his death as you did not know him, but I am just asking that you all have consideration for the family who did know him and that are in deep sorrow at this time. Indeed and I’m glad you recognise Croydon, London and the UK at large is in no way a better place in having his killer at loose. I too hope and pray that his killer is found and justice is served. Whatever the altercations (and we do not know what the altercations were about) this gentleman did not deserve death.

To question why someone would be in a different area to that from where they live seems very petty, this is the kind of postcode rivalry that many of these young people subscribe to. This gentleman had a right to leave the comfort of his Brixton home to go to wherever he was going to, thankfully our country is a free country and there is no restriction on movement from one area to another. Many people would had been in the Croydon area on the streets at the time of the riots and are completely uninvolved in the rioting. To assume that someone who driving in a car in Croydon at the time of the riots was involved is a very ignorant assumption.

As I mentioned in another post in another article the family have come forward but this has not been presented in this article….
[quote][p][bold]Anon Thornton Heath[/bold] wrote: If the person was indeed a looter then surely he has only himself to blame? Why leave the safety of his home in Brixton and come all the way over to Croydon? What else did he expect but to face trouble by joining a riot- he wasn't exactly coming over for afternoon tea. Yes we can feel sorry for his family if he was innocent but that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment. I don't hear his family saying that he wasn't involved or that he had a legitimate reason to be in the area. On the BBC website, it showed that 70% of the rioters appearing in the Magistrates' court did not live in the same Postcode area as the crime. Its hard to feel anything but contempt for those who come to our Borough just to cause trouble. Its bad enough in Croydon without shipping in more trouble-makers. I still have some respect and love for Croydon so I will not mourn the loss of Mr Ellis. I hope those who killed him spend the rest of their lives in jail as they are just as bad.[/p][/quote]It is understandable Anne that you will not be mourning his death as you did not know him, but I am just asking that you all have consideration for the family who did know him and that are in deep sorrow at this time. Indeed and I’m glad you recognise Croydon, London and the UK at large is in no way a better place in having his killer at loose. I too hope and pray that his killer is found and justice is served. Whatever the altercations (and we do not know what the altercations were about) this gentleman did not deserve death. To question why someone would be in a different area to that from where they live seems very petty, this is the kind of postcode rivalry that many of these young people subscribe to. This gentleman had a right to leave the comfort of his Brixton home to go to wherever he was going to, thankfully our country is a free country and there is no restriction on movement from one area to another. Many people would had been in the Croydon area on the streets at the time of the riots and are completely uninvolved in the rioting. To assume that someone who driving in a car in Croydon at the time of the riots was involved is a very ignorant assumption. As I mentioned in another post in another article the family have come forward but this has not been presented in this article…. R Jackson

12:18pm Fri 12 Aug 11

R Jackson says...

This has nothing to do with making excuses for any of this behaviour, this has to do with not knowing the facts. The point is that the facts of this case has not been presented and is not known- this article has made suggestions and assumptions that have not been backed by the police. Contrary to Anon Thornton Heaths comment, other balanced articles have been written where it shows that friends and family have spoken out, just because this has not been presented in this article does not mean that this is not the case. My point is that it is impossible to read a one sided article heavily based on un-factual speculation and come to a conclusion that this man deserved death in such a horrific way.
This has nothing to do with making excuses for any of this behaviour, this has to do with not knowing the facts. The point is that the facts of this case has not been presented and is not known- this article has made suggestions and assumptions that have not been backed by the police. Contrary to Anon Thornton Heaths comment, other balanced articles have been written where it shows that friends and family have spoken out, just because this has not been presented in this article does not mean that this is not the case. My point is that it is impossible to read a one sided article heavily based on un-factual speculation and come to a conclusion that this man deserved death in such a horrific way. R Jackson

1:41pm Fri 12 Aug 11

anniedukes says...

Shoot the lot of them
Shoot the lot of them anniedukes

6:39pm Fri 12 Aug 11

Pebbs04 says...

@ Annie your just as bad as the looters ignorance is not a good quality in a person you clearly ave this trat.

@R Jackson I have also read articles where this young mans family have spoken and it has displayed a very close knit family who have lost a young man looking to do something within his community..

@ Anon it not excuses i make, it's respect for the family that have been left behind to deal with their loss. It's not my job to judge any person and there are no facts just assumptions.. We're all entitled to our opinions and views... And I don't agree with yours!!
@ Annie your just as bad as the looters ignorance is not a good quality in a person you clearly ave this trat. @R Jackson I have also read articles where this young mans family have spoken and it has displayed a very close knit family who have lost a young man looking to do something within his community.. @ Anon it not excuses i make, it's respect for the family that have been left behind to deal with their loss. It's not my job to judge any person and there are no facts just assumptions.. We're all entitled to our opinions and views... And I don't agree with yours!! Pebbs04

10:00pm Fri 12 Aug 11

Pebbs04 says...

An unbiased article by the Independant...

On a quiet terraced street yesterday, tucked away from the scene of destruction in nearby Brixton, the picture of a young man stared from a window surrounded by floral tributes – the first victim of the riots that engulfed the country.

Trevor Ellis, 26, was a doting father-of-four, a painter-decorator who was just about to move into a new flat with his three-month-old baby girl. Passionate about music, his dream was to build a community recording studio to help other youngsters fulfil their ambitions.But on Monday night, as the mayhem spread through the capital, he was pursued through the streets of Croydon and gunned down.

His elder sister, Aisha Spence, 42, received a call to say her brother was injured and gathered along with his many siblings, mother, grandparents, aunts and uncles at St George's Hospital, in Tooting, where they learned he had been shot in the head and leg.

"He was in intensive care all night. The following morning, the doctors told us they didn't think he would make it. He was just gone, taken from us. We are all completely devastated."

His three-year-old son, the oldest of two boys and two girls, could not understand. "When they took the tubes out and we saw him, his son kept saying daddy's not killed any more. Daddy's just sleeping. It was hard. Imagine how we all felt. What do you tell him?" said Ms Spence.

For the family it has been tough dealing with the rumour and speculation surrounding the death with assumptions it was connected to looting or gang culture. "My brother had no association with gangs whatsoever, nothing like that. I don't know where these suggestions have come from. He didn't even know anyone in gangs," his sister said. "He was a model parent and a model uncle. Even when he was 14 or 15 he would babysit for me. If he saw my children doing something they shouldn't he would stop them."

Growing up as part of a large close-knit family, he was particularly devoted to his mother as her only son, explained his sister, a singer-song writer. On a Facebook page packed with tributes, the mother of one of his children, Leanne Iley, wrote: "Baby I love you so much and I promise I will never let you go, your daughter will never forget you and you will never leave my heart or my mind."

Mr Ellis, Scotland Yard said, had travelled to Croydon early on Monday with friends, when they were involved in a fight with nine others and a three-car chase ensued, ending with the shooting. Two men were arrested at the scene on suspicion of handling stolen goods and were released on bail.
An unbiased article by the Independant... On a quiet terraced street yesterday, tucked away from the scene of destruction in nearby Brixton, the picture of a young man stared from a window surrounded by floral tributes – the first victim of the riots that engulfed the country. Trevor Ellis, 26, was a doting father-of-four, a painter-decorator who was just about to move into a new flat with his three-month-old baby girl. Passionate about music, his dream was to build a community recording studio to help other youngsters fulfil their ambitions.But on Monday night, as the mayhem spread through the capital, he was pursued through the streets of Croydon and gunned down. His elder sister, Aisha Spence, 42, received a call to say her brother was injured and gathered along with his many siblings, mother, grandparents, aunts and uncles at St George's Hospital, in Tooting, where they learned he had been shot in the head and leg. "He was in intensive care all night. The following morning, the doctors told us they didn't think he would make it. He was just gone, taken from us. We are all completely devastated." His three-year-old son, the oldest of two boys and two girls, could not understand. "When they took the tubes out and we saw him, his son kept saying daddy's not killed any more. Daddy's just sleeping. It was hard. Imagine how we all felt. What do you tell him?" said Ms Spence. For the family it has been tough dealing with the rumour and speculation surrounding the death with assumptions it was connected to looting or gang culture. "My brother had no association with gangs whatsoever, nothing like that. I don't know where these suggestions have come from. He didn't even know anyone in gangs," his sister said. "He was a model parent and a model uncle. Even when he was 14 or 15 he would babysit for me. If he saw my children doing something they shouldn't he would stop them." Growing up as part of a large close-knit family, he was particularly devoted to his mother as her only son, explained his sister, a singer-song writer. On a Facebook page packed with tributes, the mother of one of his children, Leanne Iley, wrote: "Baby I love you so much and I promise I will never let you go, your daughter will never forget you and you will never leave my heart or my mind." Mr Ellis, Scotland Yard said, had travelled to Croydon early on Monday with friends, when they were involved in a fight with nine others and a three-car chase ensued, ending with the shooting. Two men were arrested at the scene on suspicion of handling stolen goods and were released on bail. Pebbs04

10:16pm Fri 12 Aug 11

Pebbs04 says...

ITN News have just confirmed 2 men have been charged with Mr Ellis's murder!
ITN News have just confirmed 2 men have been charged with Mr Ellis's murder! Pebbs04

7:38pm Sun 14 Aug 11

JPR says...

In many countries like in the US of A they shoot looters on sight...
Happy people in the UK we have a decent force who does not use to much a gun.
In many countries like in the US of A they shoot looters on sight... Happy people in the UK we have a decent force who does not use to much a gun. JPR

11:15pm Mon 15 Aug 11

battersea says...

why dont you stop slaging trevor off he was a good man and a good dad if you read what the police have said the men that kiled him robbed 2 other people trevor did not robb anyone he would not do anythink like that this is very upseting to see some off your comments and the ones that are bad are from pebbs04 croydon george and there are a few others get the truth first before you say such nastie things about people just to let you no trevor was not in a gang i think you are sick people
why dont you stop slaging trevor off he was a good man and a good dad if you read what the police have said the men that kiled him robbed 2 other people trevor did not robb anyone he would not do anythink like that this is very upseting to see some off your comments and the ones that are bad are from pebbs04 croydon george and there are a few others get the truth first before you say such nastie things about people just to let you no trevor was not in a gang i think you are sick people battersea

11:47am Tue 16 Aug 11

Pebbs04 says...

battersea wrote:
why dont you stop slaging trevor off he was a good man and a good dad if you read what the police have said the men that kiled him robbed 2 other people trevor did not robb anyone he would not do anythink like that this is very upseting to see some off your comments and the ones that are bad are from pebbs04 croydon george and there are a few others get the truth first before you say such nastie things about people just to let you no trevor was not in a gang i think you are sick people
Dear Battersea,

I am very shocked to see you've named me as being one of those saying nasty things, I think you should re-read the comments I posted and you'll see I agree with you and I've certainly not been slagging anyone off, other than to those who've been making inapporiate comments.
[quote][p][bold]battersea[/bold] wrote: why dont you stop slaging trevor off he was a good man and a good dad if you read what the police have said the men that kiled him robbed 2 other people trevor did not robb anyone he would not do anythink like that this is very upseting to see some off your comments and the ones that are bad are from pebbs04 croydon george and there are a few others get the truth first before you say such nastie things about people just to let you no trevor was not in a gang i think you are sick people[/p][/quote]Dear Battersea, I am very shocked to see you've named me as being one of those saying nasty things, I think you should re-read the comments I posted and you'll see I agree with you and I've certainly not been slagging anyone off, other than to those who've been making inapporiate comments. Pebbs04

1:21pm Tue 16 Aug 11

battersea says...

sorry if it was not direact at you but i am just feed up with a lot off people saying bads this about him
sorry if it was not direact at you but i am just feed up with a lot off people saying bads this about him battersea

10:33pm Wed 31 Aug 11

whitebwoy says...

That’s it always think when someone gets killed that they are in a gang and he was there to loot u all know him so well. Its funny how u all know why he was shot so why the F**K do we have a police force for when we got u all on here I grow up with trevor and I know the family he wasn’t in a gang and he wasn’t there to loot. He was a good friend and a good dad RIP
That’s it always think when someone gets killed that they are in a gang and he was there to loot u all know him so well. Its funny how u all know why he was shot so why the F**K do we have a police force for when we got u all on here I grow up with trevor and I know the family he wasn’t in a gang and he wasn’t there to loot. He was a good friend and a good dad RIP whitebwoy

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree