Eight people have returned home after firefighters evacuated most of a road in Addiscombe due to fears a burning gas cylinder might explode.
A crew from Croydon fire station was called to Inglis Road, Addiscombe because of a fire at a building site, at about 12.45pm, a London Fire Brigade (LFB) spokeswoman said.
A 100-metre cordon was put in place while firefighters worked to cool down a flaming acetylene cylinder on the second floor of scaffolding on around a loft conversion.
Acetlyene is "particularly volatile", an LFB spokesman advised, and can explode when exposed to heat.
Firefighters cooled the cylinder and re-opened the road at 2.58pm, allowing the eight residents the brigade had evacuated to return home.
Pic credit: Patrick Ratnaraja
Patrick Ratnaraja, a resident of Inglis Road, Addiscombe, had told the Croydon Guardian: “The fire brigade have asked us to evacuate most of the houses on this side of the road because workers were using some sort of gas cylinder. They said they have to cool it down because there might be an explosion.
“They have cordoned off the street. I’ve just moved out.
“They are taking a precaution just in case it explodes.”
He has since confirmed that he had returned home and was safe.
Two fire engines had been called, the LFB spokeswoman added.
A witness - who did not want to be named - had told the Croydon Guardian earlier this afternoon: "Everyone's been evacuated. They're all out in the street."
The Metropolitan Police has also been contacted for comment.
Are you in the area? Get in touch at email@example.com