Plans to axe a popular commuter service into central London could be derailed, it was revealed this week.
Wimbledon MP Stephen Hammond, recently appointed as a transport minister, said the Government had now asked Network Rail to reconsider cutting the Thameslink Wimbledon loop service.
After a meeting this week with his colleague, rail minister Simon Burns, Mr Hammond said the decision was “the first small step in what will hopefully be a good deal”.
He said: “The initial Network Rail proposal would have caused significant problems for local people.
“I have long held a pledge with Wimbledon residents that I will always fight for trains to continue to run past Blackfriars and onto other destinations.”
Councillors and MPs from across the political divide have campaigned against the plans to terminate trains from south London at Blackfriars.
Hundreds of people have backed a petition against the plans as the Government consults on a new seven-year Thameslink franchise, with recommendations trains serving Merton on the Wimbledon loop should terminate early.
A consultation by the Department of Transport had finished on Friday, September 14.
At a public meeting in August, the department’s head of franchising, Roger Jones, said no decisions had yet been made and said the opposition against the plans had been “heard very loud and very clear."