Kenny Davis capped another memorable evening for Sutton United by heading an injury-time goal to earn the U’s a stunning 2-1 victory at Dagenham and Redbridge on Tuesday night.

United had gone a goal down in the 22nd minute when Corey Whitely fired past Jamie Butler but on the stroke of half-time a knock-on from Davis bounced nicely for Craig Dundas to hook the ball into the net from close range for his 100th goal in Sutton colours.

The U’s, who are still missing six key players through injury, battled hard during the second half in wet and windy conditions and their grit and determination was rewarded.

With time running out, Dan Spence drove forward and swung in an inviting cross which Davis headed into the corner of the net from eight yards to snatch the points which sent the U’s back to the top of the Vanarama National League.

Having seen his side pick up a point last weekend from a 1-1 draw with Gateshead in which Simon Walton scored his first goal for the U’s, United manager Paul Doswell was delighted with how his side stuck to their task to claim the victory.

“It was a magnificent team performance,” said the Sutton chief. “But we weren’t happy with our first-half performance.

“We weren’t passing the ball enough. It was too long and uninspired but the goal just before the break changed our team-talk.

“I think we would have all hoped for a point here but the substitutions we made worked and Kenny [Davis] has shown what an asset he is.

"It was a great header from an excellent Dan Spence cross. He was also tremendous for us.”

Doswell was full of praise for Dundas who reached a century of goals for the club.

“What can you say about the big man? Having played Saturday, I thought he might run out of steam today.

"But to score 100 goals for one club in this day and age is incredible. We should all be very proud of him.”

Dundas himself was pleased to have finally reached the magical milestone: “It was always in my mind to try and get to 100 but the result is the main thing.

“I’ve missed a couple of easy ones lately, so I had to keep my eye on the ball but I am just happy it went in.”

The league leaders make the short trip to Woking this Saturday (3pm).