Having beaten Leyton Orient on the opening day of the season, Sutton United claimed another notable scalp on Saturday with a 1-0 win at National League title favourites Tranmere Rovers.

The match-winning moment came in the 32nd minute when Craig Eastmond’s incisive through ball from midfield split the Tranmere defence and fell invitingly for Craig Dundas who slammed it past Scott Davies.

It was a landmark goal for the 36-year-old – his first at National League level and his 99th in total for the U’s – and sparked jubilant scenes among the 120 Sutton supporters in a crowd of more than 5,000.

Rovers had several chances to seize the initiative in the opening 30 minutes but were left to rue a lack of accuracy in front of goal.

Ollie Norburn’s early volley from 20 yards acted as a warning for the U’s as it whistled past the post.

Sutton’s attack proved a handful for the Tranmere defence with Dundas, Ross Lafayette and young striker Tommy Wright all causing problems.

Wright’s dipping shot from 20 yards forced Davies into a fine fingertip save.

Rovers dangerman Andy Cook almost took advantage of a Dean Beckwith mistake by setting up Jay Harris but the Sutton defender redeemed himself by blocking a goal-bound shot.

Livewire Wright found space to run at the touchline and his low cross found Lafayette who, despite being well placed, fired over.

Perhaps Tranmere’s best chance of the first half fell to Ritchie Sutton who headed over from four yards after Jack Dunn whipped in a free-kick.

Cook then came agonisingly close to finding the Sutton net but his header went just wide before United took the lead.

Rovers striker Cook, who netted 23 times last season, came even closer early in the second half when another header from 12 yards smacked against the Sutton crossbar.

As the game progressed, the Sutton defence, marshalled by Jamie Collins and Beckwith, looked more comfortable while Rovers became increasingly frustrated.

Sutton were unlucky not to have gone further ahead in the dying embers of the match when Rovers defender Jay McEverley misjudged a header with his back to goal which left Davies stranded before smacking the post.

It’s a tremendous result considering Sutton have been plagued by early season injuries which has ruled out several key players from featuring so far and sends out a message to the rest of the division that the U’s fear no-one, regardless of reputation.

United manager Paul Doswell was full of praise for his team after the match: “That’s two famous victories in a week now, beating Leyton Orient and a deserved victory here at Prenton Park.

“Everyone comes to Tranmere and sits back. Inevitably they’ll score. We went the other way and said ‘we’re going to give this a go’.

“I thought Lafayette and Dundas were superb and what a [full National League] debut from Tommy Wright who just sat behind the front two. He was bright and worked his socks off for the team.

Doswell had a special mention for Dundas, the effervescent matchwinner: “The way he is playing he’ll make it to the 100 goal mark.

“He’s a club legend and he’s worked incredibly hard on his fitness and has lost a stone and a half in weight. He reminds me of the Dundas when he was 25 or 26.

“Him and Lafayette are such a handful, such a physical presence.

“We had magnificent support here today. They would have enjoyed that and it has to be up there as one of our best results.”

The victory puts Sutton fifth in the early league table with six points from three games.

On Tuesday (August 15) the U’s host 10th-placed Macclesfield Town who have yet to be beaten.

The club is offering FREE ENTRY to all juniors aged 16 and under to the match which kicks-off at 7.45pm. More details at suttonunited.net