Sutton and Epsom were made to pay for five missed kicks as they fell agonisingly short of the first win of the London Division One South season on Saturday.

Sutton dominated the home game against second-bottom Thanet Wanderers and scored two tries to the visitors' one, but Steve Warnham failed with both conversions, Kevin Richens missed two penalties and Jack Matin another to lose 11-10.

The game between two of the bottom sides in the league began as a real bargain basement affair with both sides making too many unforced errors but Sutton always looked the sharper of the two and their defence was rock solid. It took 25 minutes before any score was registered and then it was a penalty against the run of play for Thanet’s full back Richard Smith. Within 2 minutes though, Sutton took the lead when a lightening fast and elusive break by centre Andy Nicholls saw him weave 40 metres up-field before giving a perfect scoring pass to inside centre Steve Warnham who touched down close to the posts. Unbelievably he missed the conversion of his own try.

As is often the case almost from the restart Smith kicked a second penalty to give the visitors a 1 point lead. Sutton came straight back and when Thanet’s prop Chris Dengate was yellow carded for cynically killing the ball close to the Thanet line, Sutton were rampant. They flew at Thanet in waves, maybe just a little too desperate for a score they were time and again stopped by some excellent Thanet defence but eventually Warnham sliced through the defence, passed to flanker Felix Symonds who sprinted in close to the posts Warnham again missed the conversion attempt and the sides went in at half time with Sutton ahead 10-6.

After the break Sutton swarmed all over Thanet and were awarded three penalties, up stepped wing Kevin Richens to take the first two kicks from almost in front of the posts and put both wide. Fly half Jak Martin then sliced the third attempt across the face of the posts. Thanet taking heart from these incredible misses suddenly ran the ball out of defence and for once in the game Sutton’s tackling let them down for lock Kevin Etheridge to gallop in wide on the left for an unconverted try which won the visitors the game.

Sutton travel down to Dover on Saturday still looking for their first win. Kick off 2.15pm.