Wimbledon scored 24 unanswered points to come from 19-5 down at the break to beat Dorking.

The pack, which had struggled in the first half began to dominate in the second 40, the backs started to create chances and the previously flaky defence proved rock solid.

The match had begun well for the home side when fullback Phil Chesters raced down the touchline to score in the corner after just two minutes.

But with poor handling, poor options and the simplest of plays going wrong it went downhill for Wimbledon in the first half.

Dorking’s first try five minutes in came after a poor Wimbledon lineout on their own 22 had gifted the ball to Dorking’s backs, enabling centre Chambers to score beneath the posts and Hatton converted easily.

Wimbledon's poor kicking along with the blustery conditions saw Dorking’s fired-up back line capitalise by touching down twice before the break. First by wing Hatton and then by scrum-half Kertill.

However, as the old cliche goes, it's was a game of two halves.

Straight from the re-start Wimbledon’s pack began to show their early season form. Providing the platform for the team to spend most of the half on the attack, it was only a matter of time before they got across the whitewash. It was centre Toby White who clinically finished off a good passage of handling. At 10-19 the unlikely suddenly looked very possible.

So it proved. With Dorking pinned in their own half for much of the second half and Wimbledon locks Rob Louw and Alex Cambell winning excellent lineout ball, it wasn’t long before the pack drove over for try number three. Dorking weren’t about to roll over and fought back well, but Don’s confident defence kept them at bay during their occasional foray in Don’s territory.

A couple more Wimbledon tries went begging with wing Josh Charles clear and shouting for the ball, first an errant pass then a touch of white line fever denying him both opportunities.

The lapses didn’t prove costly as the pack, after no fewer than four collapsed scrums by Dorking, earned a penalty try and with it a 22-19 lead.

That was consolidated with five minutes remaining when the pack, as one, rumbled over the line again and centre Freddie Hooper added the extras.

This was a good win from Wimbledon and takes them back to the top of the league.

Their next match, in two weeks time is away to Brentwood.