Sutton & Epsom reinforced their position as leaders of London One South with an outstanding display against Guildford at Broadwater on Saturday.

Sutton produced a resolute team performance built around skill, courage, accuracy and more than a modicum of determination and which ended in a 17-15 win.

After a slow start to this year, Sutton are now reproducing their form of the second half of last season.

This victory may not, in the future, be etched into Sutton’s folklore in the same way as the two wins over Wimbledon last term, but Sutton have now defeated two of their closest rivals, Guildford and Chobham, on the road in consecutive away games.

Sutton are also undefeated in their past 10 away matches.

The key moment of an absorbing and tense match came in the dying minutes as the gloom descended with Guildford holding a three-point lead from two first half tries, a conversion and a penalty.

Sutton had stayed very much in the hunt thanks to Sam Hurley’s trusty boot with four penalties.

Throughout the game, whenever Sutton forayed close to Guildford’s try line they were usually rewarded with a penalty.

Your Local Guardian:

Sam Hurley and his trusty boot

For more pictures go to

The hosts had once again infringed at the breakdown and captain for the day Steve Munford faced the “Robshaw conundrum”.

A relatively straight forward kick at goal would have resulted in a draw, but the roll of the dice went in favour of an attempt at a try and the subsequent conversion which would have secured the win.

James Bennett’s accurate line out throw was gathered by Matt Harwood, who was supported by the Sutton pack and a few backs as the maul edged closer and eventually over the try line.

The maul collapsed and there was some hesitation from the referee before he awarded the try, the scorer being the man that had started the move - Bennett.

The tricky conversion went astray, but Guildford still had time to attack at the other end although a wayward line out throw from Guildford allowed Sutton to close out the match, much to the delight of the last contingent of travelling Sutton supporters.

The atrocious weather conditions with constant rain throughout the game and a very blustery wind were never going to favour Sutton’s wide game, but were very apposite for Guildford’s large and powerful pack.

Sutton were also missing influential forwards in James Caddy (shoulder injury) and Matt Whitaker, however the trio of George London, Ed Burton and Joe Ridgley in the back row had outstanding games with both the ball in hand and in defence.

Follow @ylgsport on Twitter

As had been expected, Guildford opted to play a narrow game with their hefty pack testing Sutton in the tight combined with large helpings of the boot.

However Jacob Atkins was immaculate under the high ball all afternoon and the back line did more than their fair share of defensive work as opportunities to display Sutton’s normal expansive game were few and far between.

Guildford’s forwards had been the creators of both of their first half tries.

The first from another driving maul after 22 minutes and then again close to half time after Guildford had pounded the Sutton line for numerous phases of possession.

For the latter Sutton were down to 14 men after Raynn Bruce taken a yellow card for the team, giving the hosts a slight edge at the interval - 12-9.

What the second half might have lacked in points it certainly made up for in intensity. Encouraged by their two tries, Guildford reverted to the attacking maul but Sutton were able to keep Guildford away from the Sutton 22 metre for much of the half.

Sutton’s defending remained to the fore and both Matt Harwood and Steve Burton created difficulties for Guildford at their line out as the game progressed.

Sam Hurley had added another penalty and it took Guildford until the 75th minute to increase their total. However, thanks to their fitness levels, Sutton were now the stronger side and a final attack led to the successful “roll of the dice”.

This victory established some daylight at the top of the table, assisted by Sidcup losing at home to Brighton.

Next week Sutton host bottom of the table Dover at Rugby Lane, kick off is at 3pm.