Aeroplanes across the English skies may have been grounded as this game progressed but Ash were never going to stop high-flying Chertsey Town from snatching all three Combined Counties League points.

The Curfews may not be favourites to take the league title, but they strengthened their grip on the runners up spot after this comprehensive Combined Counties League win that erupted in the opening seconds.

Ollie Treacher in defence was still missing but Steve Gibson was back on station. However, it was the forward line that took the eye from the very start. Lift off took only two minutes when, from the first attack of the game, Chertsey won a corner.

A melee ensued from it, resulting in Steve Goddard being felled inside the penalty area.

John Pomroy coolly put away the spot kick for a bonus lead that was only slightly threatened throughout the remainder of the encounter.

Ash United took a while to get going and with fifteen minutes gone, they were enjoying good possession but without looking dangerous.

They suffered a set back just two minutes later with Town hitting them on the counter.

A Tom O’Regan corner kick generated a clash between Sam Belcher and an Ash defender, just inside the area. The ball spilled out to Steve Tyson who planted it ball between three or four defenders from ten yards to give Chertsey a good margin for any future problems.

Potential problems did arise when Marcos Cousins took a shot at the Chertsey goal, only to see the ball come away after hitting the inside of the post.

Six minutes later, Ineffective tackling at the Chertsey back, after the ball had been lost near the half way line, saw James Blason gain a good advantage as he fired the ball across the goalmouth from the left in classical style for the ball to clip the inside of the far post and spin along the inside of the side netting.

The goal, on 40 minutes, might have sparked rising activity from Ash but there was no fall out from the goal and the first half ended with Chertsey again the better looking outfit with Dean Papali firing over the bar from a good position.

It was an okay first 45 minutes for Town but they still had plenty of work to do. This was proved immediately after the break when Liam Stone, back to his best, saved well from a stinging strike from Matt Powell.

Steve Goddard suffered some rugged treatment from the Ash defence and had four late crunching tackles necessitating treatment.

The result was that he had to be replaced by Andy Crossley during the interval.

The Ash manager may have been sanguine about Goddard’s plight but was less comfortable when, in the 68th minute, Crossley pulled Chertsey away again by cutting inside and, from 25 yards, sending an unstoppable curling shot that found the top corner of the net.

The finger tips of Stone at the other end kept the Ash support quiet and stopped another threatened home team revival.

Sam Belcher twice broke through from the midfield and almost got his name on the score sheet as Chertsey took full control.

His first effort shaved the outside of the post but he was unable to deliver the second when brought down just outside the area.

The final goal came on 82 minutes and was another delivered with style. Pomroy held, then delivered, the ball outside to the left for O’Regan who topped another sparkling performance by advancing, then centring the ball past goalkeeper Adlam Arjuna for Papali to head powerfully home and put the game well and truly out of reach as Ash settled for the idea that they were not going to stem the Chertsey flow.