The dream became reality at the Buzzlines Stadium last night when Croydon Athletic got the all-important point they needed against Folkestone Invicta to take them into the Ryman Premier next season.

With a massive 2,134 crowd present and a delayed kick-off, the stage was set for the top two teams in the division to battle it out, with Croydon just needing a point to make history and progress to the Premier for the first time in their history.

Both teams not surprisingly were very tense and desperate not to make an error, though there were some early chances with Rory Hill trying a long range shot and Ben Godfrey pushing into the box following some good work by Jeremy Williams in midfield.

Andy Little was immense in the Croydon goal, saving well from an 18 yard strike from Folkestone just before half-time, though Croydon seemed to have the upper hand going into the break.

The pace increased in the second half, with a cross in from Godfrey falling to Gary Noel to flick it goalward but the Folkestone keeper was equal to it.

Leslie Thompson for the Rams was causing problems with his speed leaving the Folkestone midfield for dead.

At the other end of the pitch the home side had a shot just over at close range and as the game wore on Folkestone looked more dangerous but Croydon’s defensive back four of Joe Howe, Nathan Green, Joe Dolan and Jacob Erskine looked confident in dealing with everything that was thrown at them.

With time ticking away and the nerves in the crowd reaching fever pitch, the referee added three minutes on that seemed to go on for ever.

Finally the whistle blew and the celebrations started with Croydon manager Tim O’Shea rightfully taking the plaudits from the delirious Rams’ supporters.

Croydon Athletic: Andy Little, Joe Howe, Nathan Green, Danny Waldren, Joe Dolan, Jacob Erskine, Leslie Thompson (Tom Bolarinwa, 88), Jeremy Williams, Ben Godfrey, Gary Noel (Chris Bourne, 86), Rory Hill (Gareth Williams, 79). Subs not used: Bentley Graham, Taurean McDonald-Roberts