It was honours even as Brentford played out a 0-0 draw with Bury in their opening league game of the season at Gigg Lane on Saturday.

The Bees played some neat football at times, but looked extremely light up front as manager Uwe Rosler's search for a new striker continues. They lived dangerously at the back at times too, with Bury being denied a penalty in the closing stages.

Early in the match Brentford switched play from right to left, with Scott Barron cutting in from the left and firing in a low shot, comfortably held by Trevor Carson.

After a quarter of an hour Shakers' captain Steven Shumacher saw his low shot cleared off the line, before it was scrambled behind for a corner.

When the Bees then broke down the right, Shaleum Logan's cross was headed wide by Sam Saunders.

After a brief drinks break in the hot weather, Saunders cross from the left as glanced over the bar by Adam Forshaw.

Simon Moore's goal came under pressure when Schumacher's low shot from outside the box took a wicked deflection behind for a corner.

After Forshaw was tripped just outside the box early in the second half, Saunders free kick cannoned off the wall.

Brentford began to take control of the midfield and a searching pass down the left from Harlee Dean was well controlled by Barron, whose cross was turned before for a corner.

The Shakers nearly took the lead after an hour when a looping ball into the box beat the offside trap and nearly fell into the path of Andy Bishop, but Moore raced out to punch the ball clear.

Almost immediately Brentford countered and Logan found space wide on the right, pulling the ball back to Forshaw, who wasted a good chance when firing wide of the left hand post.

Bury threatened again when a free kick was whipped in from the right, fell to Mark Curran and his shot at the back post was deflected behind for a corner.

The Bees lived a charmed life when Dean bundled over David Worrall inside the box and referee Carl Boyeson waved away Bury's penalty claims.

In stoppage time Donaldson hit the side-netting, but in truth Brentford failed to seriously trouble Carson during the whole afternoon.

Brentford: Moore, Logan, Craig, Legge, Barron (sub Fredericks 87), Dean; Douglas, Diagouraga, Saunders (sub El Alagui 63), Forshaw (sub O'Connor 74); Donaldson

Subs (not used): Gounet, Forrester, Dallas, Oyeleke

Attendance: 2659 (432 Bees)

Man of the Match: Adam Forshaw