Brentford failed to repeat their opening day victory from last season as they fell to a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Carlisle United at Brunton Park on Saturday.

The Bees looked painfully disjointed at times against a committed and sometimes enterprising United side that took full advantage of Brentford’s sluggish start to the season.

Afterwards Bees’ boss Andy Scott knew where his side had gone wrong: “Certainly the manner we played in the first half wasn’t like the usual Brentford.

"We didn’t do the basics right throughout the first half in particular and again during the second half at times and these are things that we need to get into our game very quickly.”

While last season saw five players make their debut at Carlisle, this weekend saw four new Bees introduced to the side – Craig Woodman, David McCracken, Michael Spillane and Gary Alexander – while Nicky Forster returned to the strike-force after an absence of 13 years.

The Bees did the double over Carlisle last season, with Myles Weston scoring four goals in the process, but they were on the back foot from the opening exchanges this time around.

After only four minutes a quick corner on the left saw James Berrett collect the ball and pick out the unmarked James Chester on the edge of the six yard box.

As the Bees’ defence stood rooted to the spot his header bounced off the top of the crossbar.

Carlisle quickly carved out another opening when Sean McDaid’s low cross to near post was met by Craig Curran, whose initial shot was partially blocked by Simon Moore before Curran’s follow up effort came back off the near post.

After a quarter of an hour, a foul on Alexander gave Brentford their first chance, but Spillane’s low free kick from 35 yards cannoned off the wall.

The Bees kept up the pressure and shortly after a Kevin O’Connor corner from the left was cleared to Myles Weston, who shot over the bar from just outside the box.

Carlisle took the lead when left back McDaid’s ball through the heart of the Bees’ defence was met by Gary Madine who stabbed the ball over Moore.

As half time approached Carlisle broke down the left and Tom Taiwo shot over the bar from the edge of the ‘D’, while at the other end Woodman shot low and wide of the right hand post.

Brentford’s task got a lot tougher on the stroke of half time when O’Connor was adjudged to have fouled Curran just inside the box with the lightest of challenges and Ian Harte sent Moore the wrong way as he slotted the ball into the right hand corner.

Scott elected to change things at half time, with Leon Legge replacing McCracken at the back and Robbie Simpson making his debut in place of Spillane on the right.

Simpson immediately caught the eye with a couple of good touches and had a decent shot from just outside the box saved by Collin.

Carlisle continued to look as impressive as Brentford looked disjointed and Legge saved his side from falling further behind when he hacked clear from inside the six yard box.

Simpson created another chance when he broke down the right, cut inside and played a low pass across the box to Alexander, who turned and shot, only to see Collin tip the ball over the bar with a fine save.

Shortly after, substitute Charlie MacDonald crossed from the right to the back post, where Alexander headed the ball onto the roof of the net from a couple of yards out.

Carlisle closed with a flurry as first substitute Michael Bridge-Wilkinson fired a shot across the face of goal, while Berrett saw his shot come back off the bar.

Brentford get the chance to quickly turn things around when Cheltenham Town visit Griffin Park in the first round of the Carling Cup on Tuesday night.

Brentford: Moore; Osborne, McCracken (sub Legge h/t), Balkestein, Woodman; Spillane (sub Simpson), Bean, O’Connor, Weston; Forster (sub MacDonald 65), Alexander Subs (not used): Lee, Saunders, Hunt, Wood Attendance: 5913 Man of the Match: Robbie Simpson