Brentford’s 10th consecutive game without defeat lifted them to 10th in the table as they saw off struggling Tranmere Rovers 2-1 at Griffin Park on Tuesday night, writes Simon Webster.

Despite Tranmere being desperate for the points as they battle to avoid the drop, the Bees battled hard as they turned in another professional performance during a run that has taken them to the top ten of League One.

Afterwards Bees’ boss Andy Scott revealed his side’s target for the remaining three games: “We want to go to the end of the season unbeaten now. It is very important we maintain our standards and take them into next season.

“We’ve generally cut those errors out and that is symptomatic of our run and the fact we can put good performances together, or even bad ones, and still get results out of it. The best sides are able to do that. We’re a decent side now.”

Scott fielded an unchanged side to the one that drew at Bristol Rovers on Saturday.

Tranmere looked keen to get off to a good start and within the opening minutes Ian Thomas-Moore saw his 25 yard shot tipped over the bar by Wojciech Szczesny, while Joss Labadie’s ambitious 35 yard shot failed to trouble Szczesny.

At the other end Myles Weston darted down the left wing and his cross into the middle was well controlled by Carl Cort, whose shot was blocked inside the box.

Brentford again broke down the left and after the ball was partially cleared by Rovers, Sam Wood shot just wide.

After half an hour the Bees put pressure on Rovers’ goal following a corner and after the ball was half cleared it fell to Lewis Grabban, whose volley was just over the bar.

Just before half time a cross from the right was headed towards goal by Tranmere’s Gareth Edds, but it failed to trouble Szczesny, who comfortably held it.

The Bees went ahead early in the second half when Toumani Diagouraga’s shot was blocked and it fell to captain Kevin O’Connor, whose shot as he slipped backwards was deflected past Peter Gulacsi into the net.

Yet Rovers drew level a little over ten minutes later when they were awarded a free kick on the right hand side following a foul by Karleigh Osborne. Labadie’s initial free kick was blocked, but when the re-bound fell to him he fired past Szczesny.

Diagouraga – Brentford’s man of the match – came close to giving the Bees the lead again when Charlie MacDonald chested the ball down into his path and his fizzing shot was inches wide of the left hand post.

Brentford re-took the lead with only four minutes remaining when MacDonald did well down the left before finding substitute Ben Strevens who fired home from close range.

Tranmere desperately sought an equaliser, but found Szczesny more than a match for them as he made a great save in stoppage time to deny Marlon Broomes’ header from a corner and ensure the Bees took maximum points.

Brentford: Szczesny; Foster, Osborne, Legge, Wood; Grabban (sub Ainsworth 84), O’Connor, Diagouraga, Weston; Cort (sub Strevens 44), MacDonald Subs (not used): Bull, Hunt, Blake, Saunders Attendance: 4341 Goals: O’Connor 49, Strevens 86 Man of the Match: Toumani Diagouraga