James Shanahan said his Blackheath side’s season had started with a four-try win against London rivals Rosslyn Park.

Freddie Owen’s breakaway try gave Club a 29-14 win over Kieran Power’s side at The Rock.

The home side drew level twice in the first half but Shanahan’s men stunned them with two tries in two minutes.

“I’m really happy,” the Blackheath head coach said.

“In the first half, I think we played some of our best attacking rugby and it took strong defence to keep us out from scoring more.

“The second half was all about defence. We couldn’t really play any attacking rugby - we didn’t get the opportunity.

“But what was good was our defence, our kick chase game, which forced Rosslyn Park to make mistakes which they probably haven’t in the last three games.

“On paper it’s a 5-0 but it didn’t feel it. It was tight.

“Today we were close to being near where we want to be and we surprised Park.”

Four stoppages for injury showed how competitive this London derby was in the first 20 minutes.

But the visitors grabbed the lead two minutes later, Markus Burcham’s break giving Ben Ransom space to run through.

Park responded immediately, though, Mike Macfarlane picking up Karl Gibson’s offload in a swift counter-attack on 25 minutes.

Club regained the lead again with seven minutes to go as Power’s men gave away a penalty try from a scrum.

The forwards took charge again for the home side with five minutes to half time, captain Ellis jumping over to draw them level a second time.

At the restart, the teams competed to regain the lead.

And it was Club who broke through first, a lost line-out leading to Tom Burns’ break after 56 minutes.

The visitors doubled their lead three minutes later, Henry Robinson and Arthur Ellis’ mix-up allowing Tom Williams to kick clear.

Flanker Owen then won the running race with Greg Lound to find the line.

The finishing touch for Club was put on by Cooke, who kicked a penalty on 65 minutes.

Park fans thought Stewart Maguire bundled over the line with 10 minutes to go but referee Joe James said he was held up.

Hugo Ellis tried to take a quick penalty two minutes later but his fumble left the home side with nothing.

Park’s director of rugby Kieran Power said: “Blackheath deserved it in every facet of the game.

“They were the more committed, they came here with a good game plan and executed it.

“We had lots of errors and we were our own worst enemies.

“If you look at the tries in the second half, they were our own doing.

“Blackheath created pressure in the second half but not opportunities.

“They pounced on the opportunities from our errors, which came from their pressure.

“Realistically, we didn’t turn up today.

“In a home performance, it’s a big London derby and we didn’t turn up. Ultimately, the team that did turn up won the game.”