Brentford will feel they let two points slide as Birmingham saw Maikel Kieftenbeld and manager Garry Monk both shown red cards in a fiery second half at Griffin Park.

Birmingham struck first through a Michael Morrison header before Josh McEachran levelled through an audacious free kick that City keeper Lee Camp will not want to see again just before the half time whistle.

The talking point of the game happened in the second half however after Kieftenbeld was adjudged to have lashed out at Bees striker Neal Maupay leaving him in a heap in front of the managers.

Referee Tim Robinson produced a red card after speaking to the fourth official and his manager soon followed him down the tunnel for his reaction.

The home side started the brighter although they created very little in attack. Alan Judge was having plenty of joy up against Brentford old boy Maxime Colin so it was baffling when he and Sergio Canos switched wings midway through the half.

This allowed another Bees old boy more freedom down Birmingham’s right and Jota became instrumental in City’s offence. It wasn’t a surprise when City eventually took the lead after a flurry of efforts on target. They got their goal in the 28th minute in the shape of Morrison who headed home Jota’s corner.

Dean Smith’s side rallied and from a free kick wide right, while everyone was glued to the hullabaloo in the six-yard box, McEachran struck a powerful effort that Camp could only parry to the roof of the net and drew the half to a close with the sides level.

Judge went close on the hour striking a half volley that was superbly saved by Camp, redeeming himself somewhat for McEachran’s goal.

On 66minutes Kieftenbeld was shown red for violent conduct right infornt of the dugout, and much to the disgust of Monk. His reaction earned him his marching orders and Birmingham were forced to play out the half a player and manager short.

Brentford went searching for the winner but could not find a way past a Birmingham side who went undefeated through September, and it puts the Bees temporarily fifth in the Championship.