AFC Wimbledon’s FA Cup run came to an end as they were overpowered by Tottenham in the first meeting between the sides.

Harry Kane scored twice in three second-half minutes and Jan Vertonghen added a third for Spurs from long-range with 19 minutes to go.

Jimmy Abdou hit the bar during the first-half, but that’s as close as Wimbledon came to giving their 7,700 travelling supporters something to shout about at Wembley.

Spurs started well, but it took them seventeen minutes for their first attempt on target and George Long had to be alive to keep out Erik Lamela’s powerful volley from 18-yards after Fernando Llorente’s knock-down.

The home side had an even better chance seven minutes later, but Kane could only blaze after he was teed up by Llorente.

Wimbledon spent most of the game camped on the edge of their 18-yard line, but did get some rest-bite on 27 minutes as they won a series of corners that were celebrated by their fans like a goal.

Those corners seemed to Wimbledon some confidence and they came within inches of taking a shock lead at Wembley as Michel Vorm had to palm on-loan Millwall midfielder Abdou’s shot onto the bar and then comfortably saved the rebound from Lyle Taylor.

Kane’s moved was causing The Dons defence problems. Llorente once again teed-up the England striker and despite catching it well, Long made another sharp save at the expense of a corner.

The hosts continued to press, but continued to be thwarted by Long. Sissoko drove forward and found Kane, who put Lamela one-on-one, but the Argentine was denied by another superb save from The Dons goalkeeper.

Wimbledon started the second-half quickly as Andy Barcham broke down the left, but overhit his cross and Spurs survived. The visitors went even closer minutes later as Vorm had to scramble and tip Jonathan Meades’ looping header onto the roof of the net.

That spell of pressure seemed to wake Tottenham up and Mousa Dembele came close to putting them ahead, but his powerful drive came back off the post and then Long’s back before into his hands.

Just twelve minutes later the home side did take the lead as Kieran Trippier and Moussa Sissoko combined well with the latter crossing for Kane, who converted from close-range.

The Premier League side doubled their lead within a few minutes as Kyle Walker-Peters cut inside and his shot took a few deflections before arriving at the feet of Kane, who tapped home.

Spurs ended the tie as a contest on 71 minutes as Vertonghen scored his first goal of the season via a deflection from 25-yards.

Kane came close to completing his hat-trick, but was once again denied by the impressive Long in The Dons goal as he got a strong hand to his left-footed strike. Heung-Min Son struck a post late on as Tottenham searched for a fourth.