A stunning injury time volley from Ross Lafayette earned a point for Sutton United at Wrexham on Saturday.

Lafayette controlled a wayward clearance with one touch then unleashed a sensational right-foot volley from 18 yards that smacked the underside of the crossbar before bouncing up into the roof of the net to gain the U's an impressive share of the spoils at the Racecourse Ground.

Wrexham had gone ahead in the 16th minute with their first real attack of the game.

Chris Holroyd beat Sutton skipper Jamie Collins for pace down the right and the former Cambridge United striker was fortunate to see his rather tame cross missed by United defender Louis John with the ball falling kindly to Marcus Kelly who fired past Jamie Butler.

The home side had chances to increase their lead but the U's held out until the interval and, gaining in confidence, went on to give Wrexham's defence some worrying moments in the second half.

Josh Taylor’s fizzing shot from 25 yards stung the palms of goalkeeper Luke Coddington and then Kieron Cadogan issued a warning to the division’s meanest defence when his angled effort from 12 yards flew just over the crossbar.

Ntimba Massanka spurned three good chances to increase Wrexham's advantage much to the frustration of the home fans in a crowd of nearly 5,000.

But just when it looked like the Welsh side would claim the points and another shut-out, Lafayette conjured up a moment of magic to breach Wrexham’s well-drilled rearguard with his rocket shot to register his first competitive goal for the U’s.

Sutton manager Paul Doswell thought his side fully deserved something from the game.

“I think we’d have felt a bit aggrieved had we not got something from the game," said the United chief.

"We contributed enough to the game to get something from it.”

“I thought we were the better side in the first 20 minutes. We looked dangerous and our passing was decent and looked sharp up front.

“But as soon as they scored from our error that gave them a leg up and the crowd got behind them and we were lucky not to concede a second goal. 

"We were grateful not to go in at half-time 2-0 down. That was their opportunity, I think, to go and win the game.

“When you’re 1-0 down you’ve got to force the issue which I felt we did in the second half and created some chances.

“In turn that led to them having two or three very good openings where we over-committed going forward.

"In the end, we got something from the game with a quite brilliant goal from Lafayette.

“I think a point is about right.”

United are now third in the table and have been replaced at the top by Dover Athletic who come to the Knights Community Stadium on Tuesday night (kick-off 7.45pm).

Sutton have been drawn away to Paulton Rovers in the Fouth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup. The match will take place on the weekend of October 14.

Paulton are currently 18th in the Evo-Stik South West division.