The last moments of a man murdered during the Croydon riots were revealed this week.

Handyman Trevor Ellis was gunned down in a car on August 8, the night widespread looting and violence took place across the borough.

After his murder, Mr Ellis's family defended his honour, claiming he had been in the area earlier that day visiting friends.

But on Friday at Inner London Crown Court, his two companions were jailed for 28 months for burglary and handling stolen goods.

The court heard that the 26-year-old and his friends were involved in an altercation over stolen loot with another group just hours after the disorder started.

The argument ended with a high-speed car chase through the streets of Croydon, to Duppas Hill Road at the junction with Warrington Road, where the father-of-four was shot.

Blaze Aitcheson-Daley, 22, and Tyrone Cooper, 26, were caught after passing officers from British Transport Police found Mr Ellis slumped inside a black Ford Fiesta.

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Sergeant Darren Lovatt said: "They went there by choice during this violent disorder on London's streets.

"Most tragically this was an incident where a young man lost his life. Without the looting, there would have been no shooting."

Aitcheson-Daley, who is Mr Ellis' cousin, and Cooper were said to be in an 'emotional state' nearby.

A search of the car unearthed electrical items worth hundreds of pounds, including a 32-inch LG TV and a games console.

CCTV footage showed a masked Aitcheson-Daley entering Cash Converters, in London Road, with an empty rucksack, before emerging with a bulging bag. But the loot found in the car did not account for all the items taken from the store.

Aitcheson-Daley, of Pathfield Road, Streatham, denied looting any shops, claiming he had only intended to pick up looted goods from the road.

Cooper, also of Pathfield Road, Streatham, insisted it was Mr Ellis who had raided the shop.

Despite their initial denials, Aitcheson-Daley pleaded guilty to burglary at an earlier hearing and was jailed for 18 months.

Cooper pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods and was jailed for 10 months.

James Lester defending Cooper, said: "The greatest punishment that could be served upon him has already been done. He was confronted with the reality of seeing his friend shot for them taking those goods."

Sentencing the pair, Judge Robert Fraser said: "Both of you went to Croydon that evening in the same vehicle with friends. You were no doubt attracted by the riots and the disorder.

"It is clear some form of dispute broke out and it appears the goods were taken, perhaps by another group. But in any event, you then went off and it was then your cousin and friend respectively, was tragically shot in front of you."

Nine people who were arrested in connection with the murder have been bailed until August.

Detectives are appealing for anyone who witnessed the pursuit, which involved a coloured estate car and silver hatchback believed to have been driver by the group of nine and a dark coloured hatchback in which Mr Ellis was a passenger.

Anyone with information relating to any aspect of the incident is asked to call the incident room on 0208 247 4553 or Crimestoppers anonymously 0800 555 111.