A woman is asking Wandsworth Council to foot the cost of a pricey vet’s bill after her dogs were poisoned.

Freyja Westdal, 51, a teacher, contacted the council’s pest control department after suffering from problems with mice in her flat in Romberg Road, Tooting.

Council staff came to put down mice traps and she was told her dog’s would not be able to get to the poison.

She was told if they did get to it she should take them to the vets immediately.

But the mice were too clever for the traps and threw the poison onto the floor, which five-year-old pooches Mabel and Mac, then ate.

Ms Westdal swiftly took the two sprocker spaniels, a cross between a cocker and spring spaniel, to the vets and they were rescued from the brink of death with the use of morphine.

She now wants the council to pay-up for the £250 vet’s bill, as well as the £85 she paid for the mice traps which did not work.

She said: "They think it does not matter because they are dogs, but what if it was children?

"The council said it had never happened before, but if a child sees pretty blue stuff they are going to put it in their mouths.

"The council haven’t done anything at all and I still have mice. There is a health and safety issue."

A council spokesperson said: "Our pest control service carries out thousands of mouse treatments every year and this is the first time a resident has ever reported an incident like this.

"Our procedures comply with the highest industry standards and the quantity of bait used in these devises does not pose a significant health risk to a dog or other large animals."