The Moles went to Egham viewing it as an obstacle before the midweek cup semi-final in the Surrey Senior Cup at Leatherhead.

The Moles made no fewer than 9 changes from the previous game away at Croydon with Marlon Rodney coming in at left back alongside Charlie Mattus who was making his debut at centre back.

In midfield the Moles brought in Farid Ibrahim-Zadeh, Aimee Blessing and Louis Taylor. Whilst up front Michael Riggon and Reggie Savage started together for the first time.

So the Moles fans were a little concerned when they entered the ground that this squad fall of fringe players and reserves would struggle against an Egham Town that has spent the majority of this season in the top half of the table.

These fears seemed to be confirmed after 8 minutes when Aaron Taylor found himself totally free at the near post from a corner and he made no mistake in forcing the header home. The inquest afterwards seemed to reveal confusion with no one sure who they were meant to be picking up.

It took Molesey 24 minutes to fashion there first chance and Michael Riggon will feel he could have done better with a one on one chance before Ibrahim-Zadeh had his shot blocked by a defender when the goal was open, and Egham were able to clear the ball.

But this seemed to inspire the Moles a little and five minutes later, just before the half an hour mark the Moles managed to pull themselves level.

Aimee Blessing did well on the edge of the Egham box by breaking through two tackles before laying the ball off to McShane. The Molesey midfielder chipped a superb ball up to the back post and Reggie Savage was on hand to head the ball home and level the scores.

Just six minutes later and the Moles took the lead.

This time Moses Spencer hit a long free kick from within his own half. The ball came to Savage on the edge of the box and his touch and control was superb before laying it off to Michael Riggon who fired into the corner.

Unfortunately for the Moles Farid Ibrahim-Zadeh was forced from the field with a head injury to be replaced by another reserve team player, Ricci McLoud.

Egham were shaken by the two goals but weren't broken and that was shown two minutes before half time when Colin Harris in the Molesey goal had to stretch to tip over a well struck dipping shot from Matt Grave.

But there was still time for the Moles to have the last say of the half when Justin Gray was forced to make an equally great save from a James McShane volley from close range.

Egham came out fired up for the second half and looked to up the pressure on the inexperienced Moles side. However it was the Moles who struck next.

Seven minutes into the second half, Aimee Blessing superbly beat one Egham player before playing a perfect ball over the top to Riggon.

Riggon took a touch and delicately lifted the ball over the on rushing Justin Gray and giving the Moles a two goal cushion.

Reggie Savage, who had been impressing up front, was forced off through injury to be replaced by Ashley Lodge who played in an unfamiliar position of striker.

Egham started throwing more people forward and that left space in behind them which may have contributed to Moleseys fourth goal of the game.

Ashley Lodge took a quick throw in to Aimee Blessing who in turn found James McShane. McShane took a touch inside before curling the ball delightfully past the Egham 'keeper into the top right hand corner of the net.

Egham came on strong for the last 20 minutes but the defence help up well and Colin Harris did well to stop any chances that Egham did create.

With three minutes to go Molesey brought on right back Andy Graves to play up front but he didn't get a chance to increase the scoreline.

So, come the end of the match Steve Webb showed that his gamble of playing the fringe players had paid off and now he is three points better off and with a fit and rested squad for Moleseys biggest game of the season on Tuesday, when they travel to Leatherhead for the Surrey Senior Cup semi-final.