A shop in the Bentall Centre started smoking last night as a result of an electrical fault.

Kingston firefighters were called to Whittard of Chelsea, on the ground floor, at about 10.30pm.

Crew manager Danny Barratt, said: "We got called out to a fire alarm and investigated the shop and noticed smoke in the shop.

"It was a strong burning smell but we couldn't locate it straight away so we used our thermal imaging camera and finally located it to one of the transformers for the spot lights had over heated and started to burn."

Power to the shop was cut off and security staff at the centre dealt with the faulty transformer.