Despite an improvement from the weekend's performance, Mole Valley SCR slipped to their second successive defeat, this time at Banstead Athletic, writes Gary Brinden.

It was a bright opening by both sides, but despite a fair amount of possession in or around the penalty area, neither side could make an early breakthrough.

Valley took the lead on 17 minutes, when a Richard Smith corner was volleyed goalwards by Jay Holden, and flicked over the keeper by Nehemiah Adams. The lead did not last long. Four minutes later, and confusion between Adams, and keeper Leigh Bowden let in the Banstead forward, and although the initial lob hit the bar, Elliott Beim crashed the ball home from close range.

Valley thought they had retaken the lead midway through the half, when a J Holden shot curled in, but brother Liam was adjudged to have been in an offside position and interfering with play.

Shortly after, L Holden was through on goal, but dithered getting his shot away, and was robbed by an excellent Banstead tackle.

Banstead were by no means sitting back and letting Valley attack, and Bowden was on hand to make a couple of sharp saves to keep the scores level.

Valley took the lead just before half time, when a L Holden free kick was powerfully headed home by J Holden.

Early in the second half both Holden's had chances to extend the lead, but their efforts were either off target, or denied by good defending.

Banstead really should have levelled 10 minutes into the half, firstly Rapson headed over when unmarked in the area, and the Bowden was out sharply to deny the on-rushing Dave Kettle.

Valley were showing a worrying inability to deal with any arial ball, and just before the half hour mark, Banstead were level, a great cross from the left, was flicked on to Kettle, unmarked at the back post, and he fired passed Bowden.

With three minutes remaining, Banstead scored their winner, another cross was not dealt with and Billy Marshall volleyed home for 3-2.

There was still time for further incident, and deep into stoppage time, Darren Evans saw red for denying a goalscoring opportunity, Banstead fired the resultant penalty wide.

Team: Bowden; Bogle, Barker, Adams, A Smith; Monan (Roberts), Fennessy (Brown), Evans, R Smith; L Holden (Cooper-Smith), J Holden