A Streatham clubber was partially decapitated outside the world famous Ministry of Sound nightclub when he was purposefully run over by a fellow reveller angered by a minor incident inside, a court heard.

Gary Johnson, 25, of Knollys Road, was killed instantly by Ranjit Nankani, 30, of Croydon, who drove on to a pavement opposite the club in his Mitsubishi Shogun 4x4 and “accelerating as much as he could” ploughed in to him, the Old Bailey was told today.

He was thrown into the air, carried on the bonnet and had his head partially decapitated against a wall.

Mr Nankani's actions were “a staggering act of revenge” after a fight at the August bank holiday Monday event that possibly started when Mr Johnson stepped on his foot, the court was told.

In an immediate act of retaliation to the alleged murder, Dwayne McPherson, 28, a friend of Mr Johnson's, pulled out a gun and fired several shots at Mt Nankani, who had crashed his vehicle into a line of parked cars moments after hitting Johnson, the jury was told.

Prosecutor Aftab Jafferjee QC told the jury Mr McPherson, of Sydenham, intended to kill the driver, but “mercifully he failed”, hitting his target only once.

He added: "This case is about breathtaking lawlessness on the streets of London, where comparatively minor incidents inside a busy venue were responded to with murderous violence."

The court heard the men were all ejected from the nightclub at about 4.30am on August 31 last year after a fight broke out between their two groups of friends, when a friend of Mr Nankanis's was left with a cut on his forehead after a glass or bottle was thrown.

Mr Nankani told police the violence started after a man, believed to be Mr Johnson, had stepped on his foot, the court heard.

The court was told how bouncers heard a “fired up” Mr Nankani claim “he was going to get his gun”, before getting in to his 4x4, and driving in to Gaunt Street, Elephant and Castle, to pick up two friends.

Mr Jafferjee said it was Mr Johnson and his friend's “misfortune to walk right past where Nankani was parked” after being ejected themselves.

Mr Nankani denies murder. Mr McPherson denies attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

The trial continues.