An Australian rugby player died when he was electrocuted after walking on to a live railway line at Wandsworth Road station, an inquest heard.

Dan Robinson, a 21-year old who played for Australian in the under 19s World Championship in 2007, was three and a half times over the drink drive limit, was killed by the electric shock from the high voltage line and then hit by a train.

Mr Robinson, who played for Gordon rugby club in Sydney, had been drinking vodka and Red Bull in a Walkabout bar before becoming separated from his friend on January 23 this year, Westminster Coroner’s Court heard on Tuesday, April 20.

He had travelled to London to meet with brother Beau - who is also a rugby player with a team in Italy - had only been in the capital for a couple of days.

The heard that Mr Robinson and his friend had drank half a bottle of Southern Comfort whisky before going out and CCTV stills showed Mr Robinson walking on to the live track.

The court heard he would have been killed instantly and that the multiple injuries and fractures he suffered happened after he was already dead and how his body was spotted by a train driver just before 8am on Sunday morning, who could not brake in time to avoid hitting it.

The court heard how Mr Robinson was three and half times over the legal limit for driving.

The coroner, Dr Paul Knapman, recorded a verdict of accidental death.