Three men have been sentenced for their part in a fight that led to the murder of two brothers in Wandsworth almost four years ago.

Mohammed and Hayder Ali were killed in a fight between two groups of Asian gangs, in Fircroft Road, Tooting, on Friday, April 21, 2006.

Up to 30 youths were involved in the clash, in which 24-year-old married dad Mohammed, of Tyneham Road, Battersea, was beaten and stabbed as he tried to flee.

His younger brother Hayder, 23, an engaged recruitment consultant of Elborough Street, Southfields, tried to help his stricken sibling, but was stabbed four times in the back and collapsed just a few feet away.

At the Old Bailey on January 26, Usman Butt, 21, of Glenburnie Road, Tooting, pleaded guilty to the murder of Hayder Ali and violent disorder. He was sentenced to 11 years.

Hassan Mir, 22, of Earlsfield Road, Tooting, pleaded guilty to the murder of Hayder Ali and violent disorder and was sentenced to 12 years.

Imran Asif Ali, 23, Wilson Avenue, Mitcham, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to cause GBH and was sentenced to six-and-a-half years.

The sentences, which could only be reported after restrictions were lifted on February 2, followed three trials, acquittals and appeals.

Following sentencing, Ali Shahid, Mohammed and Hayder’s father, said: “It is very difficult to put into words the enormity of our loss and grief. Losing one child you love is unbearable, but to lose two sons in one night is an excruciating experience and I struggle to find the words to describe the shock, panic and pain.

“Mohammed was married to a beautiful young woman, he has a beautiful young son and since his death his wife has given birth to their daughter.

“I believe Hayder was murdered because he went back to help Mohammed and I am so proud my son loved his brother enough to give his life for him.

“These men have brought disgrace to their religion, their families, community and to the Islamic society.”

As yet, no one has been convicted of Mohammed Ali’s murder.