A fireman who was called to the scene of carbon monoxide poisoning in Addiscombe last night described it as carnage.

Five people were taken to hospital as a priority after the incident at a home in Elgin Road.

He said: “We were called at 11.30pm to assist the London Ambulance service in a carbon monoxide leak.

“There were people throwing up everywhere and police and ambulance crews in attendance, it was carnage.”

Firemen were forced to wear special breathing apparatus to enter the house and pull out the poisoned inhabitants.

A spokesman from London Ambulance said: “We were called last night after 11pm to an incident in Elgin Road. We sent one single responder and five ambulance crews.

“Five people were taken to hospital as a priority, three were taken to Mayday and two to the Princess Royal.”

The fireman said: “We went next door to make sure that the same thing had not happened to the neighbours.

“A boiler downstairs in the house was playing up and we think the carbon monoxide might have come from that.”

• Were you at the incident? Call the news desk on 0208 330 9559 to tell us what happened.