A man was treated at the scene of a house fire in Sutton believed to be caused by the “catastrophic failure” of a lithium-ion battery.

Fire crews were called to Collingwood Road in Sutton at 4.15am yesterday (Sunday, July 7) to reports of the blaze.

Seven people evacuated the building before the fire brigade arrived.

Part of a room on the first-floor in a semi-detached house was destroyed by the fire.

One man was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.

The incident was over by 5.19am.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Lithium batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used, so it’s important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.

"You should unplug your charger when you have finished using it and we would advise not to leave it unattended or charging while people are asleep.

“Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them against being damaged too.

“Try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as this can increase the chance of damage to cells.

"For more safety information see our Charge Safe Campaign advice on the Brigade's website.”