An investigation has been launched by the police watchdog after a moped rider died in a crash in Sutton.

The rider, a man, was found injured after a crash with a police car in Wrythe Lane at 4.45pm on June 17.

The 55-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

Two officers from the police car were taken to hospital for further treatment with minor injuries.

The incident was later referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) and the Directorate of Professional Standards.

A spokesperson for IOPC confirmed today (June 21) that an investigation into the circumstances of the incident has begun.

It added: “After being notified by the Met Police, we began our inquiries and attended the police post-incident procedure to continue gathering evidence.

“We have conducted house-to-house inquiries, completed a CCTV trawl of the area and viewed the body-worn video footage of all officers involved.

“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the man who has died and all those affected by this tragic incident.”

The police car was on routine patrol and not responding to an emergency call before the crash unfolded.

Officers say that the incident was not a pursuit and the blue lights and sirens from the car were not in operation.

Wrythe Lane was closed as the incident was dealt with by police but it has since reopened.

A spokesperson for Metropolitan Police said: “At approximately 16:45hrs on Monday, 17 June a marked police car was in collision with a moped in Wrythe Lane, junction with Erskine Road, Sutton.

“London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance attended.

“Despite their best efforts, a male, the rider of the moped, died at the scene. Work is ongoing to identify and inform his next of kin.

“Two police officers from the police car were taken to hospital for treatment to minor injuries.

“The moped was not being pursued by the police car at the time of the collision - blue lights and sirens were not in operation.

“Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.

“Road closures remain in place at the location.

“As is routine in such circumstances, the Directorate of Professional Standards has been informed.

“A referral has also been made to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.”