A pair of Met Police officers who returned to work the day after they were sprayed in the face with ammonia have been nominated in the Police Bravery Awards. 

PC Samuel Goard and PC George Garner were sprayed with ammonia and threatened with a gun by James Boyle in Mitcham. 

But despite this they returned to work the following day and helped secure Boyle’s conviction, which led to a 16-year prison sentence

Police were called to reports of people acting suspiciously around parked vehicles on Commonside East, Mitcham, just after midnight on June 17, 2022. 

One of the officers, PC Samuel Goard, approached Boyle and attempted to speak to him - asking him to take his hands out of his pockets. 

The 22-year-old then pulled out a bottle and sprayed the officer in the face with ammonia, before moving toward him. 

Despite only being able to see out of one eye, the officer used his ‘PAVA’ spray, which caused the suspect to turn around and flee. 

PC Goard and his colleague, PC George Garner, chased Boyle on foot. 

Boyle then pulled out a handgun from his waistband and pointed it toward the officers – without firing it – before running away. 

An investigation was launched, and CCTV led them to identify their suspect as James Boyle. 

He was located and arrested on Friday, June 24, 2022. 

On arrest, a knife and an axe were found in his rucksack, along with a drinks bottle containing ammonia. 

During a search of his home address, a grey tracksuit top was found which was identical to the one worn by Boyle in the officers’ body worn video footage. 

The investigation found that the firearm Boyle used to threaten officers had been fired before police arrived, and live rounds of ammunition were recovered. 

The ammunition and the bottle containing the liquid both provided forensic matches to Boyle. 

Your Local Guardian: James BoyleJames Boyle (Image: Met Police)

PC Goard said in his victim impact statement: “At the time of the incident I was in complete fear for my life. I did not know what the male had sprayed at me. Thoughts of acid, ammonia or any liquid that could have caused me irreversible injuries to my eye, sight, or permanent disfigurement to my face overcame me. 

“My thoughts turned to my son at home, was he going to grow up only knowing me as having a disfigured face, will he recognise me when I go home?" 

PC Garner said in his impact statement: “When he [Boyle] pulled the gun on me I felt powerless and had to let him run away. I was left with the same recurring thought – if it was so easy to point a gun at a police officer what would he do to a member of the public? 

“I returned to work the day after the incident. I love my job and didn’t want what happened to affect me or make me fearful, but it is a terrifying reminder that the most routine call could end up being something that could change my life or the lives of my loved ones forever.” 

DCI Rebecca Woodsford, added: “Tackling violent crime is one of our top priorities and this includes those who assault our staff. Abuse of emergency workers is never acceptable and we will always deal robustly with offences of this nature.”