A woman and child have been treated for shock and smoke inhalation after a fire in south London believed to have been started by a candle.

Fire crews were called to Woodley Close in Tooting yesterday (Monday, May 20) at around 8.30am.

Half of the first and second floors were damaged by the fire and the roof was destroyed by the fire.

Around 35 people evacuated the building before firefighters arrived.

Firefighters have said that it is most likely the fire was started by an unattended candle.

A 32-metre and 64-metre turntable ladder were both deployed at the scene as water towers, allowing firefighters to attack the fire from above. 

The fire produced a significant amount of smoke and people in the area were advised to keep their windows and doors closed as the fire was dealt with.

A respite centre has been set up in coordination with the local authority and London Fire Brigade's Community Engagement team.

Control Officers received the first of 18 calls about the fire at 8.37am and the fire was brought under control by 11.37am. 

Twelve fire engines and around 80 firefighters from Tooting, Wimbledon, Norbury, West Norwood and surrounding fire stations attended the scene. 

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.

“It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch alight.

“Consider using battery-powered, flameless LED candles instead, which are safe even if you fall asleep.

“Whilst they may cost more upfront than traditional candles, they will last considerably longer, giving you better value for money.

“If you do choose to use traditional candles ensure you place them in a heat-resistant holder, on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over and away from materials that could catch fire.

“Never leave them unattended around your home, take particular care with children and pets and blow them out properly before you go to bed.

“We also recommend taking some time to carry out a few simple checks to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.

“The Brigade’s online Home Fire Safety Checker can guide you around your home and provide you with specific advice to reduce fire risks.”