Firefighters had to cool ten gas cylinders which were at risk of exploding due to their exposure to heat during a house fire in Beddington.

A wooden summer house was fully destroyed in the fire on Oakmead Road on April 14, and a garage was partially damaged.

Ten gas cylinders were discovered, potentially on the brink of explosion due to heat exposure.

25 firefighters at the scene removed them and then cooled to a safe ambient temperature.

The fire began at 9.23pm and was under control by 11.31pm with fire crews from Mitcham, Norbury and Croydon attending the scene.

It is believed the cause of the fire was accidental.

A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said: “Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters tackled a house fire on Oakmead Road in Beddington.

“A wooden summer house at the rear of the property was completely destroyed by fire and a garage was partially damaged by the blaze.

“Ten gas cylinders at the scene were removed and cooled to an ambient temperature as some cylinders can explode when exposed to heat.

“The Brigade were called at 2123 and the fire was under control by 2331.

“Crews from Mitcham, Norbury and Croydon fire stations attended the scene.

“The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.”