Two adults and a child have been taken to hospital after smoke caused by a fire damaged a whole flat in Wandsworth.

Firefighters were called to a fire in an 11-storey block of flats on Wanborough Drive on February 20 at 11.50pm.

Part of a first-floor flat was damaged by fire and the whole flat was damaged by smoke.

Two adults and a child were rescued from the flat's balcony by firefighters using a ladder.

They were taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service paramedics to be treated for smoke inhalation as a precaution.

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by the failure of a lithium battery pack on an e-scooter.

London Fire Brigade said the e-scooter was stored in the hallway, was not in use, and it was not on charge at the time of the fire.

Firefighters have since issued another warning about storing e-bikes and e-scooters safely following the fire.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "This fire highlights the risk of storing devices like e-bikes and e-scooters on an escape route, such as a hallway.

"The three occupants tried to escape the flat via the front door due to the amount of smoke.

"So instead, they went to the balcony and waited until firefighters could bring them safely down.

"E-bikes and e-scooters have become London's fastest-growing fire risk.

"In 2023, there was a fire in the capital involving these types of vehicles, on average, once every two days. Sadly three people have died in these fires and more than 60 people have been hurt."

The fire was extinguished by 1.17am the next day.

Five fire engines from Wandsworth, Fulham, Richmond, Battersea and Wimbledon fire stations attended the scene.

A Brigade spokesperson continued: "The vehicles can be a fun and sustainable way of getting around London but the stark reality is that some of these vehicles are proving to be incredibly dangerous, particularly if they have been modified, if fitted/converted with second-hand products or products purchased online which may not meet safety standards, or if batteries are used with the wrong chargers.

"When the lithium battery fires occur, they can be devastating and ferocious, producing jets of flame and a toxic flammable vapour cloud that should never be inhaled."