A man from south east London murdered a man who was in bed with his friend’s ex-girlfriend. 

Jason Curtis and Kaydon Prior forced entry into Prior’s ex-partner's flat then stabbed 25-year-old Harrison Tomkins to death. 

Curtis, 22, of Lairdale Road in Dulwich, was arrested after he was spotted hiding in bushes nearby. 

During his arrest, he said to an officer: “Who’s been murdered? I’ve been on a night out as it’s my birthday.” 

On Friday (February 9), Curtis and Prior, 23, of Hazelwick Avenue in Crawley, were found guilty of murder. 

Harrison’s devastated family said: “Harrison was innocent in all of this, taken by surprise and killed as he laid in bed, with no time to defend himself.” 

Your Local Guardian: Harrison TomkinsHarrison Tomkins (Image: Sussex Police)

Birthday night out

On August 13 last year, Prior and Curtis were on a night out in Chelsea to celebrate Curtis’ 22nd birthday. 

But at around 1.30am they made their way back to Crawley after they found out Prior’s ex-girlfriend was out with another man, Harrison Tomkins. 

The pair were seen outside a cocktail bar at 3am looking for her, before getting a taxi to her flat on Arthur Road. 

They gained entry to the communal area and heard her and Harrison inside the flat. 

This prompted Prior to call for a taxi to go to his home address in Hazelwick Road, where prosecutors said he got the key to his ex’s flat and a knife to carry out the attack on Harrison. 

At 5.30am, Prior and Curtis burst into Prior’s ex-girlfriend’s flat and Harrison was stabbed multiple times. 

Curtis was found hiding in a bush by a drone, while Prior was arrested at his home address. 

Your Local Guardian: Kaydon Prior and Jason CurtisKaydon Prior and Jason Curtis (Image: Sussex Police)

Harrison hasn't got a voice today

Harrison's family issued the following statement: “As a family, we are pleased with this result and feel justice has been served. 

“Harrison hasn’t got a voice today, so we will speak on behalf of him. 

“Firstly, we would like to thank Sussex Police and the Crown Prosecution Service for their fast-moving investigation, which has led to today’s result. 

“Thank you also to our Family Liaison Officers, the ambulance service, the numerous witnesses and the jury for reaching their verdict today. And to all our family and friends who have supported us through such a horrific time. 

“Harrison was innocent in all of this, taken by surprise and killed as he laid in bed, with no time to defend himself. 

“We knew our son and he didn’t move in any of these circles or know this way of life. 

“We were an amazing family, completely content, loving, supportive and protective. Except in August last year our family was destroyed that fateful day - the day I could not protect my son. 

“Harrison, our first born son and brother to his two adoring sisters was just the greatest, he saw the best in everyone he met. He was a lover of life. 

“Nothing said or done can help justify this senseless loss of life. 

“Going through this trial has been as traumatic as the day we were told Harrison had been killed. We have had to relive it all over again, while listening to Prior and Curtis’ lies throughout. 

"Since the omission of any remorse and that my son was murdered whilst asleep, my only hope is they serve the maximum sentence possible. 

“They have not just changed my life for the worse, but so many people from my family and close friends, and I have to ask ‘was it worth it?’” 

Unprovoked attack

Senior Investigating Officer Detective Chief Inspector Emma Vickers, of the Major Crime Team, said: “I echo Detective Police Constable Elliott Lander and would like to add how incredible Harrison’s family have been throughout what has been a terrible time for them. 

“I commend them for the way they have conducted themselves and their incredible bravery throughout the trial. 

“This was a horrendous and unproved attack on a young man who had simply been on a night out enjoying himself. 

“Justice has been served today and our thoughts very much remain with Harrison and his family during this incredibly distressing time.”