A suspect in connection with the case of Ilyas Habibi who was stabbed to death in Sutton has fled the country and another was arrested and then bailed.

Emergency services were called to Sutton High Street just after 7pm on Tuesday December 5, after reports that a teenager had been stabbed.

Ilyas was found having been stabbed, and he was provided with first aid, but was later pronounced dead at the scene at 7.53pm.

A single suspect fled the scene after an argument with Ilyas near Sutton station, and following enquiries, the suspect was identified.

On December 11, officers found he had left the country from London Gatwick Airport on December 9.

Ilya's family were told, and they are being supported by specially trained officers.

Police continue to work with international partners to find and arrest the suspect.

A 19-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender was later released on bail.

A post-mortem examination gave the cause of Ilyas’s death as a stab wound to the neck.

Ilyas’ older brother, Mr Habibi described the moment he received a phone call that Ilyas was stabbed as “every brother’s worst nightmare”.

He said: “I was at work at the time and Ilyas usually comes to where I work after he finished college.

“On that day my mum called me and asked, ‘Is Ilyas with you, his phone is off?’ “So, I tried to call him, but his phone was off and then dad called me to say: ‘Ilyas is not picking up’.

“We decided to wait for around 30 minutes before deciding to call the police.

“I got a notification on my phone from the doorbell camera, so I thought Ilyas was home, so I decided to look at the footage to see what Ilyas is doing.

“I saw two officers standing outside and my dad answered the door and the officers said, are you Ilyas’ mum and dad?

“They said: Yes. And the officers responded: “Ilyas has been stabbed and he's dead.”

Mr Habibi has since paid tribute to his “hardworking” brother who was “kind, caring and generous” with his whole life ahead of him.

Mr Habibi explained: “Ilyas was my younger, he was delightful to be around. He was caring, loving to my parents and his siblings and friends.

“He never done anything to anyone, was a really nice boy who was loved by everyone.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room direct on 0208 721 4622.