A man in his 20s has been stabbed to death at Strawberry Hill railway station.

British Transport Police (BTP) were called to the station in Twickenham just before midnight on January 8 and found a man in his 20s injured.

London Ambulance Service and the Metropolitan Police also attended but the victim was declared dead at the scene.

His injuries were described as serious and “consistent with being stabbed”.

Four men have since been arrested and remain in custody.

Detective Chief Inspector Sam Blackburn said: “This is a senseless act of violence which has seen the tragic death of a young man.

“This investigation remains in the early stages and the station will remain closed while we continue our enquiries.

“I urge anyone with information that may help us piece together the moments leading up to this to contact BTP by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 630 of 08/01/24. Alternatively, you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

Trains are currently not calling at the station due to an ongoing investigation which is expected to continue throughout the day.

Southwestern Railway, which tweeted shortly after midnight: "The police dealing with an incident is affecting the railway at Strawberry Hill.

"Trains may be cancelled, delayed or revised because of this problem."

In a recent update, they added: "We have now received an update and disruption to our services is now expected until the end of the day."

A spokesperson for British Transport Polices said: “Detectives at British Transport Police (BTP) have launched a murder investigation after a man sadly died at Strawberry Hill railway station last night.

“Officers were called to the station at 11.53pm on 8 January following reports of an injured man. “Officers attended alongside colleagues from the Metropolitan Police and London Ambulance Service and a man was found with a serious injury, consistent with being stabbed.

“Despite their best efforts, a man in his 20s was sadly pronounced dead at the scene. “Four men have been arrested in connection and remain in police custody this morning.”