A heartbroken brother has paid tribute to his football fanatic 17-year-old brother who was stabbed to death in Sutton.

Ilyas Habibi was on his way back home from college when he was attacked in Sutton High Street at around 7.10pm on December 5.

Officers, London Ambulance Service crews and an air ambulance were called to the scene.

On arrival, Ilyas was found suffering from knife injuries, and he was provided with first aid.

He was pronounced dead at the scene just before 7.55pm.

Ilyas’ older brother, Mr Habibi, has since paid tribute to his “hardworking” brother who was “kind, caring and generous” with his whole life ahead of him.

The 20-year-old told Your Local Guardian that he was proud to watch Ilyas grow over the years before his life was taken away from him.

Mr Habibi explained: “Ilyas was my younger, he was delightful to be around. He was caring, loving to my parents and his siblings and friends.

“Ilyas was a lover of football, playing football and he would always shout at the television when he watched Arsenal play.

“The house was never quiet when Arsenal were playing because he was just screaming all the time.

“He never done anything to anyone, was a really nice boy who was loved by everyone.”

Mr Habibi told of the proud moment when Ilyas brought home a certificate from his Construction course at Croydon College, a week before he was killed.

He explained: “We were so happy that Ilyas was doing well at college. We were happy and he was happy.

“So just to see him happy made us really proud of him. He had a bright future ahead of him.”

It was found by police that Ilyas arrived at Sutton High Street by train and minutes after he came out of the station he was involved in an altercation with the suspect who then fled the scene.

Officers say that it “isn’t clear if the suspect was also injured” and are asking the individual, or anyone who knows them, to come forward.

Mr Habibi described the moment he received a phone call that Ilyas was stabbed as “every brother’s worst nightmare”.

He said: “I was at work at the time and Ilyas usually comes to where I work after he finished college.

“On that day my mum called me and asked, ‘Is Ilyas with you, his phone is off?’

“So, I tried to call him, but his phone was off and then dad called me to say: ‘Ilyas is not picking up’

“We decided to wait for around 30 minutes before deciding to call the police.

“I got a notification on my phone from the doorbell camera, so I thought Ilyas was home, so I decided to look at the footage to see what Ilyas is doing.

“I saw two officers standing outside and my dad answered the door and the officers said, are you Ilyas’ mum and dad?

“They said: Yes. And the officers responded: “Ilyas has been stabbed and he's dead.”

After hearing the devastating news, Mr Habibi started screaming where he eventually fainted at work.

He was dropped off home by one of the staff members where he saw his mum and dad screaming.

Mr Habibi added: “That moment right there has traumatised me for the rest of my life and I’ll never be able to forget it.”

A day before his death, Ilyas visited his brother at his workplace asking Mr Habibi to book his driving theory test.

Mr Habibi explained: “This was the last time I spoke with Ilyas. He was happy, came to the shop and some food and asked me to book his test.

“I asked him, Ilyas, ‘Are you sure you’re ready?. He replied: “Yes bro.”

“So, I booked him his test for his for the Wednesday at 9am.”

Mr Habibi’s mum faints “five to six times a day” and spends her time crying in Ilyas’ room following his death.

Mr Habibi said: “The house is so empty. Ilyas is room is next to mine. I haven’t slept.

“My heart is just aching. If I close my eyes, I see Ilyas in front of me.”

A week after Ilyas’ death, Mr Habibi is in shock and that no arrests have since been made.

He said: “Ilyas was not stabbed in an alleyway, it was outside a train station where there’s loads of cameras and witnesses.

“So how have there been no arrests made yet? We keep in touch with the police a lot but there’s never a new update.

“We need to know every step the police is taking. It will calm my mum to know that her son’s killer is being looked for.

“It doesn’t help my mum knowing that his son’s killer is sleeping in nice warm house, eating nice food and walking around like nothings happened, while my brother’s body is in a freezer in hospital.

“I just hope justice is served for my brother. I really do.”

Tributes have since been paid to Ilyas with flowers and lit candles left at the scene of the incident.  

Several candles outlining Ilyas’ name are also among the tributes at the scene.

A crime scene on the High Street and near the train station was closed today after forensics being on scene for two days.

Detective Chief Inspector Mike Nolan who leads the investigation said: “We know that Ilyas arrived at Sutton High Street by train.

“Minutes after he came out of the station he was involved in an altercation with the suspect who then fled the scene.

“Ilyas had suffered fatal wounds. It isn’t clear if the suspect was also injured. If you know the suspect, or if you are him, please get in touch.

"Members of the public who have information and material they want to share with us can do so via our online web portal."

Chief Superintendent Andy Brittan, leading policing for the Met’s South Area Command said: “I know that those who live and work in Sutton will be shocked and saddened at the loss of a young life on the streets that they call home.

“I share those emotions and would like to reassure local people that we are doing everything we can to support our homicide colleagues in identifying and apprehending the person, or persons responsible.

“I urge anyone who is concerned to approach officers on patrol and speak with them or get in touch with their Neighbourhood policing team.

“Our thoughts are with the victim’s family at this sad time.

“I would like to thank the community for their patience as we carry out our enquiries, and urge anyone with information concerning this incident to get in touch.”

Anyone with information concerning this incident should call the incident room direct on 0208 721 4622; call police on 101 or Tweet on ‘X’ @MetCC quoting 6107/5DEC.

To remain 100% anonymous call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org.