A school in Wimbledon has been evacuated due to a gas leak, with children being dismissed class by class.

Harris Academy Wimbledon confirmed in a statement on its website that the children were being sent home due to the incident.

Any children who are not able to return home will be taken to Harris Academy in Morden, where the school will contact the families of the children who remain directly.

The gas leak is believed to originate from a block of flats across the road from the school on High Path. 

Residents were evacuated from the flats as a precaution but have since been allowed to return. 

Police, ambulance, and fire services were at the scene and High Path along with the surrounding roads were cordoned off to the public.

London Fire Brigade has since announced that no elevated gas readings were found during the investigation. 

A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said: "Firefighters from Wimbledon and surrounding fire stations responded to reports of a gas leak in a residential block on Pincott Road, South Wimbledon.

"Crews attended the scene alongside the Metropolitan Police Service and local gas authority.

"Crews evacuated residents from the block and immediate area as a precaution, but following further investigation no elevated readings were detected.

"As a result, residents were allowed to return to the building.

"The Brigade was first called about the incident at 07.59am and remained on scene until 10.28am."

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called today (22 November) at 8:01am to reports of an incident at the junction between Pincott Road and High Path, in Colliers Wood.

“We sent a number of resources, including an incident response officer and members of our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART).

“Our teams attended as a precaution and were later stood down.”

A spokesperson for SGN said: "We were called to support the police who were handling an ongoing situation at a property in High Path, Wimbledon.

"We capped the property’s meter to make it safe and left the area shortly after."

Harris Academy Wimbledon wrote in a statement on social media: Due to a gas leak in the flats opposite we have been instructed to evacuate the building and the surrounding area.

“Students are being dismissed class by class and are allowed to use their mobile phones to contact home.

“Any student who does not have access to home will be taken to Harris Academy Morden.

“Once we are at Morden we will contact the families of the children we have taken there directly.”