Firefighters tackled a flat fire in Wimbledon that was caused by a faulty battery pack.

Frew crews were called to Kenilworth Avenue in Wimbledon at 12pm on November 2.

Four fire engines and approximately 25 firefighters attended the incident which caused damage to a semi-detached house converted into flats, specifically a second-floor flat.

Brigade's 999 Control Officers received five calls regarding the fire.

The 32-metre turntable ladder acted as an observation post for firefighters during the ordeal.

Crews originating from Wimbledon, Wandsworth, Tooting and Mitcham fire stations attended the scene and brought the blaze under control by 2.49pm.

It was found that the blaze was accidental and caused by a lithium battery pack.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Lithium batteries store a significant amount of energy in a very small space and are much more powerful compared to other types of batteries. If that energy is released in an uncontrolled way, then a fire or explosion may result.

“If there is overheating, crushing, penetrating or overcharging, then a fault can occur within damaged battery cells which may cause the battery to catch fire and/or explode.

“Lithium batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used, so it’s important to always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.

"You should also unplug your charger when you have finished using it and we would advise not to leave it unattended or charging while people are asleep.

“Try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as spares as this can increase the chance of damage to cells.”