A fire broke out in a house in Croydon last night (Sunday).

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the fire in Sutherland Road.

Part of the ground floor of an end of terrace house was damaged.

One woman left before the arrival of the Brigade and was treated by the London Ambulance Service.

There were no serious injuries.

There were no working smoke alarms in the property. 

The Brigade was called at 7:10pm and the fire was under control by 8:13pm.

Fire crews from Croydon, Woodside, and Mitcham fire stations were at the scene.

The cause of the fire was accidental and due to an electrical fault in a consumer unit.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “This incident is a timely reminder about the importance of having smoke alarms in your home. 

“Homes need multiple smoke alarms or you won't be properly covered.

“As a minimum, you should have smoke alarms on every floor of your home - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most plus a heat alarm in the bathroom and kitchen."