A schoolgirl who was stabbed to death in Croydon has been named and pictured for the first time.

Elianne Andam was found injured in Wellesley Road at 8.30am yesterday (September 27).

The 15-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene just after 9.20am.

A 17-year-old boy, who was known to Elianne, was arrested on suspicion of murder in New Addington.

Your Local Guardian: Elianne AndamElianne Andam (Image: Metropolitan Police)

He remains in police custody and will be questioned by detectives.

Her family have since paid tribute to Elianne, describing her as “bright” and “funny” who had many friends who adored her.

In a tribute, it says: “Our hearts are broken by the senseless death of our daughter.

“Elianne was the light of our lives. She was bright and funny, with many friends who all adored her.

“She was only 15, and had her whole life ahead of her, with hopes and dreams for the future.

“All those dreams have now been shattered. Our lives have fallen apart, along with that of our wider family.

“We ask the media to please respect our privacy as we try to grieve the short life of our beautiful child."

Eyewitnesses at the scene claimed an argument erupted on a bus between Elianne her friends and pupils from another local school, which then spilled over onto the pavement, as reported by The Telegraph.

Old Palace of John Whitgift School has since paid tribute and confirmed Elianne was a pupil at its school.

In a statement, it says: “We are deeply shocked by the senseless and tragic death of our much-loved and valued friend and pupil.

“It will take some time for the Old Palace community to come to terms with this terrible news, and we will offer support to our pupils as we try to do so.

“Above all, we send our love and deepest sympathies to the girl’s family at this unimaginably distressing time.”

Flowers and cards have also been left near the scene where the attack took place.

One of the cards reads: “Sorry we live in this crazy world this makes no sense.

“Fly high up there my mummy will look after you. RIP beautiful, forever young, taken too soon.

“Thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends, God bless.”

A woman described seeing a bus driver and another woman trying to save 15-year-old Elianne.

The mother-of-two, who only wanted to be known as Bridget, said she saw the two people trying to resuscitate the girl on the pavement.

She said: “I was on the bus before and came off and walked back down, I saw them resuscitating her.

“The driver was holding her and a lady.

“The emergency services were already here when I walked back.”

A man also described how he and others chased a boy after the girl was stabbed.

Victor Asare was on a bus on the way home from a night shift as a security worker when he said he saw a boy stab a girl in the neck with a knife which was “black, thin and about a foot long”.

The 50-year-old said: “It looked like the girl didn’t want the boy to come closer.”

He then described the boy stabbing the girl in the neck with a black knife.

“The blood was coming like water,” he added.

“A lot of people came, everyone came off the bus. [The boy] ran away. Everybody was crying and screaming. The girl was on the floor.

“We tried to catch him and a lot of people tried to save the girl. I was so shocked, I was shaken. It’s somebody’s daughter.

“I finished work but couldn’t sleep, so came back, I wanted to see if the girl was OK.”

A post-mortem examination is set to take place today (September 28).

Detective Chief Inspector Rebecca Woodsford, who is leading the investigation, said: "My thoughts and the thoughts of my team are with the Elianne's family.

“This is a deeply upsetting time for them and we will do everything we can to support them.

"Our investigation continues and we are making good progress. We have recovered CCTV from the area and have spoken to a number of witnesses.

“Forensic scientists have also examined the scene.

"From these enquiries we are now confident Elianne was attacked outside in Wellesley Road near to the bus stop rather than onboard the bus.

"We know many people were in the area at the time and would have witnessed the attack.

“This would have been distressing and traumatic and I would encourage anyone who needs support to contact us and we will help to arrange this.

"I know that Elianne's death has left many people feeling upset and I would like to thank the people of Croydon for the support they have shown us as we have carried out our enquiries in the town centre.

“I know this work has been disruptive, however it has been vital and your patience is appreciated."

The full statement from Metropolitan Police says: “Elianne Andam was on her way to school when she was attacked in Wellesley Road at approximately 08:30hrs on Wednesday, 27 September.

“Officers were at the scene within two minutes of the call being received. They worked with emergency service colleagues to provide first aid.

“Despite their efforts, the 15-year-old sadly died at the scene.

“Detectives from the Met's Specialist Crime Command are continuing to investigate the circumstances that led to Elianne's death.

“Within 75 minutes of the incident, a 17-year-old boy was arrested in New Addington on suspicion of murder.

“A 12-hour extension to his custody time limit was granted by a senior officer this morning and he remains in custody at a south London police station.

“The suspect knew the victim. Further enquiries are taking place to establish their exact relationship.

“Any witnesses who need support, or have information about the incident, are asked to call 101 quoting CAD 1601/27Sep.”