Flowers have been left at the scene after a 15-year-old girl was stabbed to death during rush hour in Croydon.

Emergency services were called to Wellesley Road in Croydon at around 8.30am to reports that the girl had been stabbed.

Both the land and air ambulance attended but she was pronounced dead at the scene 50 minutes later.

Around an hour and 15 minutes after the stabbing, police arrested a teenage boy in connection with the girl’s death.

He “may have been known to her”.

A white tent has been erected within a police cordon which is located place near the entrance to the Whitgift Centre on the northbound side of Wellesley Road.

A red number 60 bus is also within the cordon, along with three police vehicles and about a dozen officers outside the Whitgift Centre on Wellesley Road.

A bunch of flowers could be also seen next to the forensic tent.

Mayor of Croydon Jason Perry said in a statement: “I am devastated to hear that the teenage girl who was stabbed in the town centre this morning has tragically died.

“The Council are in touch with the police and will fully support their investigations. Our whole community’s thoughts will be with the victim’s family and friends.

“A suspect, who is believed to have known the victim, has been located and arrested by local police officers, and I would like to thank all those who responded so quickly and professionally to the incident.

“I urge anyone with information about the incident to contact the police on 101 or report anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: “I am absolutely heartbroken by the death of a 15-year-old girl in Croydon this morning.

“My thoughts and prayers are with this young girl’s family and friends, and the whole community, at this unimaginably awful time.

“An arrest has been made in connection with this incident and I am in close contact with the Met Commissioner.

“I urge anyone with any further information to call the police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously. I promise to continue working day and night to end the scourge of knife crime in our city.”