A right-wing extremist from Surrey who pleaded guilty to an array of terrorist crimes has been handed additional time in jail.

Convicted far-right terrorist Michael Nugent, from Ashford in Surrey, was given a three-and-a-half year jail term at Kingston Crown Court in June.

Three appeal judges on Friday (October 22) increased that term to five years, after a challenge by the Attorney General’s office, at the Court of Appeal in London.

As the Surrey Comet reported, the 38-year-old previously pleaded guilty to 16 terrorism offences after sharing explosives and firearms manuals in extreme right-wing chat groups online.

London's Met Police described previously how Nugent used different personas in the chat rooms, expressing his racist views and hatred of ethnic minorities.

An investigation by the Met's Counter Terrorism Command linked the various online accounts to Nugent’s real-world identity and he was arrested and convicted as a result.

Speaking after Nugent was convicted back in May, Commander Richard Smith, who leads the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said: "Nugent was an active member of internet chat rooms where he freely shared his abhorrent extremist views with others. He sought to influence and encourage other members to commit acts of violence, and passed on manuals detailing how to produce deadly weapons and explosive devices...

"The police investigation unearthed a huge amount of incriminating evidence which forced Nugent to admit to his offences before trial. This is another case which shows how harmful online extremism is. That is why it is important that anyone who believes that they have a friend or loved one who has been or is vulnerable to radicalisation seeks help."

Far right terrorism is considered the fastest growing terrorist threat by police in the UK.

That's according to Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, who said last year that young people in particular were being radicalised online by the hateful ideology.

This was reflected in the area as recently as November 2020, when a teenage student from South West London who attended secondary school in Kingston was convicted and sentenced for crimes of far-right terrorism and child abuse imagery.