The man charged with raping and kidnapping a 13-year-old school girl in Mitcham last year has pleaded guilty.

Kadian Nelson, 27, appeared at Kingston Crown Court earlier today (Monday, April 26) where he admitted kidnap, rape and making a threat to kill, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said in a statement.

As the Wimbledon Times reported previously, Nelson followed the 13-year-old school girl before creeping up behind her and putting one hand over her mouth and another on her head.

The CPS said Nelson also threatened to kill the girl and forced her to walk towards an alleyway in Mitcham during the terrifying incident on November 3.

He told her to take off her coat and school blazer before sexually assaulting her, then put his own jacket on the victim.

Police were alerted when a woman called 999 saying her daughter had seen a man grab a young girl.

Your Local Guardian: Police searching for Kadian Nelson prior to his arrestPolice searching for Kadian Nelson prior to his arrest

When one of the woman’s relatives interrupted Nelson, he told her the victim was his sister, the CPS said.

As footage and news of what was happening broke across social media, groups of angry people began descending on severeal addresses in the area alleged to be Nelson's, prompting police to urge him to turn himself in for his own safety.

He was arrested later the same day, November 3.

Speaking after Nelson's guilty plea, Senior Prosecutor Kate Shilton described assault and kidnap as "terrifying":

"This was a terrifying stranger attack on a young girl on her way to school," she said.

"The prosecution was able to present compelling evidence that made clear that it was Kadian Nelson who had carried out this sickening attack.

"The prosecution case included video footage and DNA evidence from the lighter and tobacco pouch found inside Nelson’s jacket pocket, which he left behind.

"The victim was also able to identify him in an ID parade. These guilty pleas will mean that Nelson’s young victim will be spared the ordeal of giving evidence in court.

"I would like to thank the members of the family who saw what happened and took quick action in alerting the police to the incident," she added.

"The young victim has shown remarkable courage during these proceedings and I hope this conviction will go some way to providing her with closure."