Two house fires in two days prompted dramatic rescues of a family and two men in Croydon recently as London fire Brigade (LFB) warned residents over fire safety measures.

The first saw a man rescued from a second floor flat fire on Parsons Mead in West Croydon after it broke out in the first moments Sunday morning (April 11) just after midnight.

LFB said the man was taken to hospital by paramedics after he was saved from the blaze.

The second fire struck a flat on Dornton Road in South Croydon Monday morning (April 12), around 4.22am when the fire brigade were called.

Your Local Guardian: Image: London Fire BrigadeImage: London Fire Brigade

A family was led to safety by firefighters, and one man taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

Leading Firefighter Tracy Doyle, who was at the scene, described what happened:

"On arrival, crews saw a family at a window at the top of the property.

"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the building and rescued one man from inside his flat who was taken to hospital.

"Firefighters also led a family to safety from a flat on the third floor. Two children were given fire escape hoods before crews led them and a man and a woman out of the building via an internal staircase.

"They were all checked over by London Ambulance Service crews at the scene," she said.

LFB said the fire is believed to have been caused by cooking that was left unattended.

Leading Firefighter Doyle added: "Thankfully, there were working smoke alarms fitted in a top floor flat, which sounded and alerted the residents who then called 999.

"Never leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill. This is also a timely reminder to make sure you should have working smoke alarms in every room where a fire can start, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen."