A convicted murderer who tortured and killed a young girl in 1979 has been jailed for life for trying to kidnap a 19-year-old student while out on licence.

Wayne Smith, 47, of no fixed address, must serve at least six years after he grabbed a 19-year-old Kingston University student and pulled her into nearby woodland as she walked alone across Kingston Bridge early on April 24.

He had only been released from prison two years earlier after serving a 25-year sentence for torturing, raping and murdering 17-year-old Susan Moore in Sunbury in similar circumstances.

Kingston Crown Court had heard how Smith approached the 19-year-old student, pretending to be a security guard, before grabbing her and dragging her into the garden by the war memorial near the river.

The girl bit Smith's hand, struggled, screamed and managed to escape.

A group of students who heard her scream ran down to help and saw Smith get into his car and drive off.

They took down his registration and gave it to police.

When officers seized Smith's car hours later they found four Stanley knives and a change of outer clothing.

Sentencing Smith at Kingston Crown Court today, Judge Tilling said he was sure Smith still posed a serious danger to young women.

"I am satisfied it was no accident that led you to hang around on Kingston Bridge in the early hours of the morning," he said.

"You knew that there was a student hostel nearby and a secluded park opposite the hostel. This case disturbingly echoes your previous conviction for murder where your victim was again a young girl alone at night."

Smith was released in January 2005 on life licence for the rape and murder of 17-year-old Susan Moore in the cemetery of St Mary's Church in Sunbury in 1979.

Smith had met Miss Moore, an auxiliary nurse at a nursing home, through her boyfriend, a Richmond police cadet.

On the night of March 22, 1979, Miss Moore had been drinking in a pub in Sunbury with Smith and her boyfriend.

After her boyfriend left for work, she left with Smith for the cemetery.

Smith raped, tortured her with a piece of wood and strangled her in the graveyard.

Smith was arrested and convicted of her murder after her blood was found on one of his shoes.

He was jailed for life to serve a minimum 17 years but was not released until 2005, when he went to live with his family in Hanworth.

Detective Constable James Tucker said: "What is disturbing is that he seemed to have learnt from his previous mistakes. For example, in 1979 he was caught when her blood was found on his shoe, tying him to the scene and to her. This time, when he was arrested, he had a change of clothing ready in his car."

  • Did you know Susan Moore or her family? Let us know in the comments section below or phone 020 8330 9553.