London is braced for wintry weather ahead of the first weekend of December, with warnings of ice and snow possibly even extending to the capital.

The Met Office has forecast unsettled and colder weather for most parts of the country this week, and large parts of Scotland and areas of northern England, including the Pennines and the Yorkshire Moors, are predicted to see snow and icy conditions.

But parts of the south will also begin to feel the winter chill, and weather forecasters predict temperatures dipping down to -1C (30F) in south-west London, which could cause travel disruptions.

Temperatures may drop as low as -7C (19F) overnight on Wednesday in Aberdeenshire, eastern Scotland, but the coldest weather is expected in western Scotland overnight on Thursday, where temperatures could drop to an icy -10C (14F).

Your Local Guardian:

The Met Office said the cold spell is expected to last until Friday, but that the weekend would see brighter weather and even some sunshine.

It added that temperatures going into next week would be lower than the average annual temperature, which is usually around 7-9C (45-48F).

Snow and ice warnings are in place for parts of Scotland until 12pm on Thursday, along with an ice warning for Northern Ireland on Wednesday night.

But meteorologists said they "couldn't rule out sleet or snow showers further south - including London."

The Met Office added that any snow that falls in the south is expected to be more “transient in nature”.

According to, who have listed each borough's chance of experiencing snow this week, Sutton has a 57 per cent chance of seeing some white stuff fall on Friday, with a 43 per cent chance on Saturday.

Kingston borough was also given a 57-per-cent chance on Friday by the forecasting service, while on Saturday it was lower at 18 per cent.

Croydon has a 60 per cent chance on Friday and 34 per cent chance on Saturday.

There's also a 54 per cent chance of snow in Richmond on Friday, dropping to 24 per cent on Saturday. Merton was given the same odds.

Finally, Wandsworth was given a 42 per cent chance of snow on Friday, down to 24 per cent on Saturday.

Chief meteorologist Dan Suri said: "It'll certainly feel more wintry this week, with colder weather bringing a risk of frost, ice and wintry showers.

"The risk of snow accumulating is largely confined to the northern half of the UK - mainly over higher ground in Scotland, Wales and northern England.

"By Thursday morning parts of northwest Scotland could see 2cm of snow accumulations to low levels, with 2-5cm above 200m and up to 10cm gathering over the highest routes, leading to some travel disruption."

Traffic Scotland operator manager Douglas Cairns said a record number of gritters had been made available to keep traffic moving this winter.

"The first severe weather warning of the winter for snow and ice is always a timely reminder for people to check they are winter ready and have made appropriate preparations," he said.

But deputy chief meteorologist, Dan Harris, said that despite the cold and unsettled weather - including freezing fog - all was not "doom and gloom".

"We're keeping an eye on other areas where there is potential for disruptive snow - in particular central and south-east England and the hills of northern England," he said.

"It'll stay cold into the weekend with rain, showers and hill snow continuing across many areas, along with overnight frosts.

"We could also see some stubborn areas of freezing fog develop more widely, which at this time of year can persist all day.

"However, it's not all doom and gloom, as there's likely to be an increased chance of dry, bright, and perhaps even sunny weather on offer as the weekend progresses."