An inquest into the death of Sergeant Matt Ratana has launched after he was fatally shot by a detainee at Croydon Custody Centre on Friday, September 25.

The Met Police are treating the circumstances around Matt’s death as a murder investigation and formally detained the 23-year-old suspect who currently remains in a critical condition in hospital after reportedly shooting himself during the incident.

Police said that the suspect was “handcuffed to the rear and transported in a police vehicle to the police custody centre in Windmill Road, Croydon” where he was then “taken to a holding room with police officers, where he remained in handcuffs while officers prepared to search him.

“The custody sergeant, Matt Ratana, entered the holding room as part of his duties when the suspect produced a firearm and discharged the weapon several times, during which both Police Sergeant Ratana and the suspect were injured.”

A post-mortem examination conducted by the Home Office returned “preliminary findings” that suggested Matt died of a gunshot wound to the chest.

Updates from the inquest arrived on Thursday (October 1) as the outpouring of tributes and sympathies for Matt and his partner continued.

A minutes’ silence was held to honour Matt’s memory at 11am on Friday (October 2), while sections of the police force from the Met in London and across the UK continued to pay homage to Matt and his service.

His death also prompted a heartfelt reaction in his native New Zealand.

Prime Minister Jacinda Arden wrote she was “incredibly sad” to learn the news of his death and told Matt’s extended family: “We share your sorrow and have all our condolences.”

Serving police officers from New Zealand’s police force performed a Maori Haka war dance to honour his memory in a video watched almost 200,000 times on Twitter to date.

“As someone who was a police officer in New Zealand and the United Kingdom, he uniquely served both countries. We know he will be deeply missed,” said the NZ High Commissioner to London, Bede Corry.

Flowers meanwhile continued to be laid at the Croydon Custody Centre placed by “the Met Family, The Blue Light Family, friends, members of the public and even past prisoners.”