The trial of a man accused of fatally stabbing his pregnant ex girlfriend and killing their baby in Thornton Heath was delayed after one of the jury displayed coronavirus symptoms.

Judge Mark Lucraft QC apologized to the other members of the jury today (July 6) after dismissing one of their number who appeared to be displaying symptoms of Covid-19 coronavirus.

As the trial of Aaron Mckenzie entered its second week, one of sitting members of the jury became sick and was subsequently excused in the hopes of preventing the spread of the virus amid the ongoing pandemic.

"I'm sorry you have had a slight delay as you know one of your number over the weekend has developed some symptoms which seem to be Covid," Judge Lucraft told the remaining 11 members of the jury.

He discharged the absent juror, wished him well and said the corner where he had been sitting would be cleaned.

Meanwhile, the trial continued with the defendant Mckenzie, who denies the murder of his 26-year-old former girlfriend and the manslaughter of their baby Riley in June last year, giving evidence.

The 26-year-old crane operator allegedly broke into Kelly Fauvrelle's bedroom in the dead of night and stabbed her 21 times, causing catastrophic injuries.

Baby Riley was delivered by Caesarean section at the scene in Thornton Heath, south London, but died in hospital four days later.

The prosecution allege that McKenzie, who has Aspergers syndrome, was "desperately jealous" that Fauvrelle was seeing someone new and had "moved on".

Giving evidence, McKenzie said he had not been happy when they split up, but he denied killing her.

Asked who did, the he told jurors: "Mike killed her."

He said Fauvrelle owed money to the man, who he named only as Mike, over a tobacco deal.

The Old Bailey in central London was among the first criminal courts to reopen for trials following the lockdown.

Courtrooms have been regularly cleaned and rearranged to seat jurors at two-metre intervals, in line with social distancing measures.