A man from Raynes Park is calling for Kingston Hospital to 'fill the missing link' between families and patients by improving communication.

Theresa Eugenia, 53, from Raynes Park, sadly died on April 7 after enduring 12 days of separation from her family while in Kingston Hospital.

Her partner, Tay Eugenia, 52, has compared the experience leading up to his wife's death like 'waiting on death row.'

Mr Eugenia, who has recently recovered from suspected coronavirus, says the hospital provided minimal updates on his partner's condition.

He said he was 'disappointed' with the hospital after they reportedly lost all of his details on the system.

He added that the hospital told him he couldn't be given information over the phone, despite the fact he couldn't come into the hospital to prove his identity.

Describing Theresa, Mr Eugenia said: "She was very vibrant, very lovable and had a work ethic which was second to none.

"She would do anything for anybody and dedicated herself to anything she would do.

"She was the brightness at her job and was someone who loved life.

"Out of respect to her, I want people to be aware of what was going on and to be prepared.

"I had to become really assertive to find out information, I had to push for a few things."

Mr Eugenia says the hospital didn't tell him that Theresa went on dialysis and that she was given a do not resuscitate order without him signing a form.

He added he was completely left in the dark and was unaware of Theresa's condition up until the very last moment.

Despite reportedly receiving assurances that his partner was fine, Mr Eugenia said he was then told her condition had been deteriorating for two days - and was forced to make one final plea to see her.

On the day of her death, he said he had to endure abuse from hospital staff to access his wife.

Speaking to Wimbledon Times, Tay Eugenia said: "It was heartbreaking, she was scared.

"She hated to be on her own, so I couldn't let it happen, there was no way I was going to let her go by herself.

"Theresa was always there for me, so I needed to be there for her.

"I had thirty minutes with her, I had to get some sort of closure, and to get that closure, I had to receive abuse.

"Losing somebody is hard enough, but having little communication is inhuman.

"I understand communication could be tricky during this time, but this has to be said because this could be improved.

"Having someone in between the patient and the family to communicate would take away the missing link."

A spokesperson from Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust said:

“We would like to offer our condolences to the family of Theresa Eugenia.

"Our staff were previously unaware of the concerns being raised and we are now making contact with Mr Eugenia to discuss this.”

Theresa's funeral will take place later this month.